Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Don Adams, who played Maxwell Smart in Get Smart, has passed away at the age of 82 from a lung infection at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in LA.

Geez, we've lost TWO icons of '60s TV in the past couple of weeks... Gilligan (Bob Denver) and now Agent 86, Maxwell Smart...

Say hi to the Chief for us, Max.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
When I was around 7 years old, my mum would let me watch 'Get Smart' it was something I remember very well in my childhood and a great and funny show.

MacTurtle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
Arlington, TX
wow

That's really sad. I too remember watching that show as a kid.

Just the other week I made a joke about Barbara Feldon, Agent 99 and it went over my bosses head, her being too young to remember ever seeing the show, even on reruns.

wow

Fair travels Don, we'll miss you.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I am *so* depressed. Don Adams was a GOD! Is Get Smart on DVD?

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
I missed the original run by around 20 years, but I caught many episodes on Nick @Nite, the movie "Get Smart", and probably every episode of Inspector Gadget as a kid. He was certainly one of a kind! I never looked at shoes the same way again :D

Rest in peace Inspector Gadget.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
I love Get Smart. It's such a great TV show. It's kind of a shame I only saw it in reruns (I'm 19...).

I love the shoe phone. I want one so bad.... :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
We were all humming his theme song the other day as we went through some hospitals. It seemed like the opening of the show with him walking through all the doors, going through some hospitals can be that way to.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I guess Agent 86 has taken the telephone booth to heaven (you know, the way Max gets into CONTROL)

Really enjoyed Get Smart as a kid.

BTW, did you know the show was crasted by Mel Brooks?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Oh, man...! :(

I hope TV Land has a Get Smart! marathon. It would be an appropriate farewell to someone who has given us so much enjoyment.

Regarding the thread title: did anybody see the movie, "The Nude Bomb"? My favorite line in there is where Max lectures the Chief about weapon safety, tucks his gun into his pants and...the gun goes off. A worried Max says, "Excuse me," and turns around to check himself. The Chief asks, "Max, are you okay?" to which Max replies, "Missed it by that much!" :D

One last thing: were all you Get Smart! fans aware that there's a big-screen movie in the works, starring Steve Carell?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I guess I will be on the look out for a marathon in the near future. At least I hope that either TV Land or Nike@Night will do a marathon.

I fondly remember all those late night, staying up until 1 am to watch "Get Smart" and "F Troop"

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
I enjoyed that show so much back in the 60's. I also hope that a cable station plans to broadcast some type of marathon. I do not have access to those channels, but a co-worker would gladly tape me a good amount of episodes.

Does anybody know if there have ever been any similar marathons for the classic Superman series with George Reeves?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
We used to joke that working at Apple was like the opening sequence on Get Smart - we had to go through metal detectors, swipe cards, enter codes on keypads just to get in.. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.