Missed the hinge replacement program

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by enigma2118, Apr 1, 2014.

1. enigma2118 macrumors regular

Hey all,

So I just inherited a MacBook Air who's display hinges are busted. So the screen just flops all the way back.

I looked online and saw that there was a hinge replacement program by Apple, but it ended last October.

Does anyone know if or how one might be able to go about getting an extension to that program? Does Apple ever do that? It would be rather nice.

Thanks you all.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Best bet is to contact apple and see how to proceed. They may handle it for free, but since you're inquiring some some 5+ months after the fact you may be hard pressed to get it done for free

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's definitely possible, but very much at the discretion of the manager of the Apple Store (or the person you talk to on the phone if you go that route). I was able to get a repair on a MacBook Pro that had a GPU issue (requiring logic replacement) about 5 months after that program ended.

I would take it in and be respectful and polite and see what they tell you. The worst thing they can do is say no.

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Sometimes it is helpful to have another mac under purchased apple care.
    I have heard it many of times from them over the years, in the spirit of apple care, we will take care of it for you this time.
    Therefore, if you have apple care on something, kinda drop the seed that you have it, just maybe ;)

5. enigma2118 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went to the Apple store today. Fellah at the bar was rather busy. He gave it a once over, took it out back for about 5 mins. Basically told me that it would be about $600 to have them fix it. I had to mention the Hinge Replacement Program, to which he just said, "Yup, ended in October."

Nice fellah, but if I were to luck out, he wasn't the one that was going to help out.

The good news is that the laptop works, just needs the hinges fixed. $600, pffft.