Missing 500gigs from HD literally over night!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jigga Beef, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jigga Beef macrumors regular

I have a 1TB boot drive and I use CCC to clone it everyday. When I woke up this morning it said my boot drive was almost full. The last time I looked I had about 600gigs free and sure enough the clone drive had about 600 gigs free, and my time capsule showed just about as much free. So what over night could have taken up about 500gigs on my HD? I just ran onyx like I do monthly, and I even verified my disk.

Last night I did use bit torrent of 2 music albums about 180mbs. The only thing I have been doing different recently is I have been using lostify to tag my TV shows which are saved on a different hard drive. I chose to option to overwrite the current files but could that have saved the files on the boot drive (where Lostify is running from) somehow?

I am about to download Disk Inventory X, to see what could be taking up all the space.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A process probably went berserk and left a log file somewhere.

3. Jigga Beef thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah when i ran the scripts in Onyx, did a secure empty of the trash and restarted the system it all came back. 772 gigs free.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How long did it take to secure empty 500 GB of data? :eek:

5. Jigga Beef thread starter macrumors regular

None of it showed up in the trash, but the the trash emptied for about 20 minutes!

6. sawmaster macrumors regular

did you restart your system first before doing all that stuff? sometimes the storage counter goes berserk, and i will litterly just watch it go down fast. lol :p