Missing 57GB of HD space... please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenjyCJ, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BenjyCJ macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have been clearing out my hardrive (due to iMovie export not working... but that's another story) and I have downloaded Omni Disk Sweeper to help out. However I have found that I seem to be missing around 57GB of hard drive space! (See screenshot link)

http://f.cl.ly/items/3i200O2t1T012I053C0g/Screen Shot 2011-10-21 at 12.53.02.png

On the native apple readout it says my hardrive is 499.25GB, and that I have 92.06GB free, leaving me with 407.19GB used. However with Omni Disk Sweeper it says I have 349.4GB used. This is a difference of 57.79GB! I'm wondering where it is!

It isn't any hidden files as (as far as I'm aware) Omni DS displays them all.

Can anyone shed any light on this as 57GB is quite a sizeable portion of my hard drive.

Im running Lion (as you can see from the screenshot) on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro (I upgraded from SL... without a clean install :()

Thanks a lot for you help.

Benjy

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

No bootcamp partitions or anything like that?

3. Buduls macrumors newbie

i had the same problem.. no matter what i delete free space reported by apple readout did not increase. Restart fixed that..