Missing Applications on iMac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by n0cus, Aug 8, 2014.

1. n0cus macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 500 MHz Summer 2001 Indigo iMac G3 at a yard sale. It booted up great, but to my surprise, several applications were missing or corrupted. I installed the Combo Update to 10.4.11 and that did not work. I used to Pacifist to extract the application from the Combo Update, but that also did not work. From what I know, the only way to solve this issue is to do a restore of the system. The only problem is that I do not own the Tiger install disk, nor any version of OS9 or OS X for PPC (I started using Macs when they already made the transition to Intel). I know I can buy it off of Ebay for about $25, but I don't want to spend $25 on obsolete software when I only spent $8 on the computer itself. The applications I am missing are Address Book, Disk Utility, Installer, and System Profiler. From what I can see, it seems like the previous owner deleted these apps from the applications folder. What I am wondering is if any of you guys would be kind enough to provide me the .app for these applications from a Tiger install or from the disc. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Thank You

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not sure if just a simple copy from one system to another is appropriate here. I believe this is a question for Intell as he is knowledgeable in this area. If he says it will work I will create a .zip of the apps.

3. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

I have done some research, and I do believe it would, as the only component this Mac is missing is the actually .app. Thank you for your assistance.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This would have to wait until I can get on a Tiger machine when I get back Sunday. I am actually writing this from a Chromebook right now...

5. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much! Take your time as I am in no hurry to get these apps. I am just using it for a little tinkering fun.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am sure that Intell will chime in here to say what will work and what won't work. If you can, I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on an OS disk. That way you do not have to deal with the previous owner's changes and problems with the machine.

7. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I really should. I had to repair the disk permissions (obviously using terminal since I don't have Disk Utility) among other little annoyances. It is just really hard to spend $25 on an obsolete operating system when you only spent $8 on the machine itself. I will definitely keep an eye out for the disks. F.Y.I. This is one of the forums I am basing my theory of this working off of, but I would love to see what Intell has to say.https://discussions.apple.com/message/10916658

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll work, but posting the applications without Apple's written consent would be in violation of the copyright on them.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Thank you, Intell! I just wanted to double check with you first.

10. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your input Intell.

----------

Are you still willing to send me the .zip even after what Intell said. You could PM the .zip to avoid technically posting it online for everyone to see.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since it would violate the EULA I am afraid I can not. I can however help you find a disk!

12. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Where do you recommend finding a disk at. The only places I can think of are ebay, craigslist, and shopgoodwill.com. I also didn't realize that this violates the EULA since the copy on the iMac is legit, it is just slightly corrupted. Oh well, I honestly doubt I use the thing anyway. I just got it to admire the beauty and tinker around with it. It is nearly unusable for anything modern, that partially being because Tiger is so unsupported. If I wanted to do anything on it, I would put Ubuntu on it. Thank you for all your help though. It is greatly appreciated.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

eBay is the best bet.

14. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright man, thank you.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hope you find a good copy! Remember the G3 can only use a retail Tiger disk. Leopard will not work at all.

16. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Check your PM's regards a Tiger Disk.