Missing artwork (dreaded grey notes) during music playback?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jul 30, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Does this happen to anyone else?

While I am in Cover Flow, I see the artwork all nicely - some I added myself from Google Image searches, and others that get pulled from iTunes directly - but when I go back to portrait mode, I get the generic "white-screen-with-grey-notes-to-make-it-look-like-you-just-threw-the-MP3-file-in-there-last-minute-and-you're-too-lazy-to-add-metadata-to-it" look and it's rather annoying.

I tried having iTunes re-"convert" the MP3 file, I delete any extraneous artwork and add it back in, and it still does that from time to time.

I don't know if it's been inherent in previous versions of the iOS since I didn't bother to care about my artwork, but now that I'm rebuilding my entire iTunes library one MP3 file at a time, I'm enjoying being very meticulous about the metadata. But it irks me when it just doesn't want to show up for whatever reason.

Anyone?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

It all starts with your iTunes library so make sure whatever artwork/metadata you add goes into the iTunes library first. Then, what I did was completely wipeout the music on my iPhone and started to add all the music again. Since then, I've had no issue of the dreaded "grey screen" with my music.

Also, depending on the size of your library, you might wanna invest $20 and get TuneUp. I did and am quite thankful I did. I have over 9000 MP3's and NONE of them had any artwork/metadata attached to them. TuneUp did a real nice job in cleaning everything up for me. Sure as hell beats updating the songs one at a time I can tell you that much.