Missing at least a years worth of text messages! Please help.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bigpoppamac31, Jul 30, 2013.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Okay so I got a used black iPhone 4S to replace my broken white iPhone 4S. I have now synced my new iPhone to my Mac and done all the updates but I'm still missing a years worth of text messages. The latest ones are from early 2012. I always backup to my Mac as I don't use iCloud and a backup always happened when I synced and charged my iPhone to my Mac. Where would those text messages be and why did they not sync to the new iPhone??

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So do you go back and read the old texts when you're sad? What is the purpose of needing over a years worth of texts? Not sure how to get them back but maybe a readjustment of priorities may be in order?

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay so I used an App called iExplorer which managed to find my "lost" iPhone text messages which I can export to my Mac as a .txt .pdf or .csv. But I still would like to know how to get them onto this "new" iPhone and where the folder is on my Mac. and why it did not sync to my new iPhone in the first place.

EDIT: So I can't export the text message files unless I pay a ridiculous $35 for the software. How nice.

----------

What are you a shrink?? If you can help me then great. If not don't post a useless reply.

4. kage207 macrumors 6502a

One... Play nice. I understand your position on his/her post though it is silly.

Secondly, you won't be able to import them into the Messages app due to the fact that they were exported. Text will only be restored if they are still on the carriers servers I believe. Lastly, iMessages will be restored if they were on your old phone.

5. bigpoppamac31, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry I didn't mean to be an ass. Just a bit frustrated is all.

Secondly I was able to find the specific file on my Mac and use a website I found to make a PDF of all the texts.

Thirdly. Could I be having this issue cause I changed my SIM card?? That's something that just donned on me.

EDIT: I also noticed that when I synced/updated this new iPhone it added a second older set of Safari bookmarks and old header shortcuts to the bar above the tabs bar in Safari. Why would it do that??

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

No. Again text messages are tied to the carrier and your phone number. Texts are basically (YourCellPhoneNumberHere)@(YourCarrier).(CarrierDomain). So if your iPhone had a backup it could pull those old texts into the Messages app. Though carrier keep text for a certain period of time.

Again, you really haven't cleared up how the text or messages were sent? Are they iMessages or text messages?

Yes they file might save the texts but again, it's how iOS is setup to read that file to restore it. The Messages App will only restore texts that are within the carrier time limit and still on their servers, I believe otherwise it will discard importing the text as there is no "reply" for those text.

For iMessages it is sent via a end-to-end messages and will always be able to be saved and restored.

Do you sync your bookmarks with iCloud?

EDIT: Lastly, I was saying play nice because even if someone isn't being the nicest, don't spread the hate. There's no need.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well my iPHone should have a back up cause I synced my previous iPhone to my Mac every couple of days and I have my iPhone set to backup to my Mac. This new iPhone should have just restored everything from the previous backup. I even had to manually go through my Apps list and click the "install" button beside each of them.

I believe most were text messages not iMessages cause most people I know do not have an iPhone.

I do not use iCloud period.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

My reply wasn't useless... I told you I couldn't help. Good luck.

9. kage207 macrumors 6502a

So you clicked Restore from Backup? You shouldn't have to re-install anything if you did it that way.

Also again, it doesn't matter if your Mac has the file or not, the Message app won't restore text messages if it is past the time on the carriers server because the text does not exist any longer.

10. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I did click "restore from back up". But I also had to update the iOS from 6.0.2 to 6.1.3. Would that have made any difference? Plus like i mentioned I had to get a new SIM card activated for my account.

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

iOS version does not make a difference.

That might make a difference in terms of being a different SIM card. Though I'm not positive on this. Honestly, if you have the file on your computer and can still read them there, I wouldn't stress it is not on your phone. Keep in mind after so many days the text get deleted anyways on your phone.

12. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well apparently they don't. When I found those missing texts the history of the "conversation" went back to 2009 in many cases from when I got my iPhone 3G.

13. jedblanks macrumors newbie

They are not lost. I'm sure the NSA has a copy.

14. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

A very frightening but possibly true scenario. Privacy?? What's that? ;)

15. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I think it's maybe because you swapped the SIM card?

16. iHailCaesar macrumors member

I am not sure why on earth anyone would keep a years worth of text messages. Do you really go back and read them? Why not use email and then archive the chain?