Missing attachment in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twig, Mar 10, 2008.

1. twig macrumors member

I'm using Mail with a gmail IMAP account. Recently a friend sent me an email with an Excel workbook attached, but the attachment didn't show up in Mail (no attachment in the message, no paperclip icon indicating an attachment in the Inbox). The really strange part is that if I go into my gmail account using a browser, the attachment is there. I received several other similar attachments from other people, and all those attachments showed up in Mail. Has anyone had this happen before? Any idea what might be causing it?

2. chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

Attachments missing

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to this, and have been frustrated by the very same problem.
    I have sent emails from work (via a Windows pc) with three Word documents attachmed. The email arrives in Mail, the paperclip shows three attachments in my email list window, but the 'save all' button only contains one attachment which is actually an image file of the footer from the original email content - no word document attached. WHY??? This has happened on numerous other occasions from other accounts and from other machines. The only work-round is to stick the documents in a Zip file and send that. The email arrives with the Zip file attached.
    Why should this be happening?
    Chris

3. Slov macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing this same problem with the latest version of mac mail (snow leopard). Any ideas?

In this instance it's a .wmv file. No paperclip/attachment icon or anything is shown in the FWD message I received. It is, however, viewable/downloadable in gmail. I'm using gmail imap.

I also have Flip4Mac and Perian installed.

Thanks!

4. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Encountered the exact same thing but only when sent to one particular email address. If the sender sends it again to another email, the attachments magically appear. I always thought it was something server-related. :confused:

5. acon1modm macrumors newbie

not an issue with mail.app

just FYI, I'm seeing this for several users in my domain, who use varying clients including outlook, mail.app and, thunderbird. The attachments are visible through the web interface, but not from the IMAP clients.

6. davehahn macrumors newbie

Missing Attachments in mail.app

I have an independent contractor who experiences the same thing.
    But he has noticed that it's only when he's in my network. If I send him an email with an attachment to his mobileme account, the attachment is visible on MobileMe webmail - and it comes through on his iPhone - but it doesn't not come to mail.app on his snow leopard computer. If he then disconnects from my network and connects to a Sprint wireless card - and I send the message again, it shows up on his computer. Same thing when he's at home - problem goes away.

Strange thing is, his iPhone is connected to the same internal wifi network that exhibits the problem with mail.app on his laptop but his iPhone gets the attachment.

We use a Cisco ASA - what type of firewall do others who are experiencing this issue have?