Missing bit of finder on OSX Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Komodocat, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Komodocat macrumors newbie

Heyy! Thanks taking the time read this, i may have pressed something and ive lost a bit of my finder shown in the picture...

[​IMG]

and how i want it to look,
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Ive tried everything!
    Thanks a bunch XD

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

OPTION/ALT+CMD+S

or Finder > View > Show Sidebar

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't you mean Option+Command+T or View > Show Toolbar?

Or click this (maybe twice):
    Screenshot2010-06-30at160139.jpg

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG] The following assumption was made with Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard.

Nope, as the Toolbar is still showing? Or am I missing something? I just woke up and made the "mistake" to wake that computer of mine and saw this.

I just tested it again. Take a normal looking Finder window, the last in the OP for example.

If you press OPTION+COMMAND+T you hide the Sidebar + the Toolbar, if the Toolbar is hidden, OPTION+COMMAND+S does not work.
    If you press OPTION+COMMAND+T again, the Sidebar and Toolbar come back into view. Now pressing OPTION+COMMAND+S just hides the Sidebar and the Toolbar stays visible, just like in the OP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or am I still missing something? :confused:

Btw, since when does Flickr not support transparent PNGs anymore?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Note the thread title. The OP is on Leopard. Option+Command+S doesn't do anything in Finder on Leopard. There is no Sidebar command in 10.5 Leopard:
    Picture 4.png

That's why I also recommended clicking the button maybe twice, to hide, then show the Toolbar (and hopefully, the Sidebar). If that doesn't work, try deleting:
    /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ahh, I did forget that. Thanks. :eek:

But then how can only the Sidebar go awry, but leave the Toolbar intact or does OPTION+COMMAND+T behave differently in Mac OS X 10.5?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Option+Command+T should show/hide both the sidebar and toolbar together. The fact that one is gone and not the other leads me to think that the plist might be corrupted.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

What happens if you click the green widget to expand the malfunctioning window?

If it fixes the "missing parts" problem, you can then drag the window-resizer back down to the size you want.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's what I though too, could a deletion of Macintosh HD / Users / USER / Library / Preferences / com.apple.finder.plist work?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't work. As you can see from the screen capture, the left side of the window is already visible, so it's not hidden by window resizing.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, it seems, today is not my day, maybe I should wait till the night comes, that's when I'm in better shape as it seems. It's still light out there.

But one for the road: Have you tried installing Mac OS X 10.1 yet? It solves the problem by not having a Sidebar to begin with? *

See GGJstudios, I can write something before you come up with it. :p
    Animal, this is definitely not my thread... :(

* not a serious suggestion

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I really hate to point this out, but if I had said that, I wouldn't have used the word "bloody", since I'm in Texas, not the UK. If you're gonna put words in my mouth, at least use ones I would really say! LOL! :D

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That was more of a description of what you did

than of what you said. I don't know how Texans swear, but I'm sure it is not PG-rated, thus my exclusion of any "hard" swear words.

[​IMG]

It's not HBO, it's MRF. One of many places, where adults don't swear at children or iPhones.

Anyway, not to derail this thread further, OP, has the deletion of that .plist file brought any solution? And if you tell your grandchildren about this momentous occasion at some time in the future, please mention me as being the repeater of the solution.
    :D