Missing / blank hard drive space

bisento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Hi

I have recently been having hard drive space issues. I have OS X 10.9.2. Attached are stats from About This Mac and Terminal. I have two queries:

1. What is the unlabelled 392 gb from the Terminal?

2. In About This Mac, the Audio size seems very high. My music folder is about 175gb. I understand that 'Audio' encompasses more than that, but this seems very high. I don't have much in the way of games etc. The same can be said to a lesser extent of movies and photos. By adding up all of the key folders, I get to a much lower usage than About This Mac suggests.

Thanks

Attachments

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
That's your root directory and its a sum total of all your space

I recommend that you download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

I have recently been having hard drive space issues. I have OS X 10.9.2. Attached are stats from About This Mac and Terminal. I have two queries.
Run this command in Terminal and post up the output.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

bisento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Run this command in Terminal and post up the output.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /
Thanks for your responses.

This what I get:

1 /.DocumentRevisions-V100
1 /.DocumentRevisions-V100 (from old Mac) 2
1 /.fseventsd
0 /.PKInstallSandboxManager
2 /.Spotlight-V100
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol
10 /Applications
1 /bin
0 /cores
1 /dev
1 /home
1 /Incompatible Software
1 /Incompatible Software (from old Mac) 2
9 /Library
1 /net
0 /Network
1 /opt
1 /opt (from old Mac) 2
8 /private
17 /Recovered Items
1 /sbin
7 /System
867 /Users
1 /usr
1 /Volumes
916 /
916 total

bisento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Aha, I think I have figured out what happened - might be useful information for others.

Something went wrong when I updated to Mavericks last year and my computer got wiped. I just reloaded lost material from external backup and didn't really worry any further about it. But - it seems that in fact those 'lost' files remained on the hard drive, so my user profile was effectively duplicated (thanks also to my own acts), but one has remained hidden. So close to half of what's on the hard drive is unused files / duplication.

Thanks to both replies above from maflynn and Weaselboy - helped me get there.