Missing Bluetooth Profiles

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ukdy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ukdy macrumors member

You cannot control next track/previous track with a BT car stereo or BT headphones because the AVRCP bluetooth profile is not supported.

I just posted this to the feedback page for feature requests for iPhone:

If enough people do the same then they might add the feature sooner!!

I also pasted this on discussions.apple.com but they keep removing it!!

Looks like the only way to get this is to buy a BT adapter that supports AVRCP...

:apple:

2. iKatz macrumors member

What kind of car do you have?

Do you mean that if you have bluetooth built in to your car, and would normally work with just your phone calls... now works with music??

Thats fantastic!

3. ukdy thread starter macrumors member

With software version 3.0 you can now stream your music via Bluetooth with the A2DP profile.

However the stereo/headphones that are connected via Bluetooth cannot change the tracks because the AVRCP profile is not supported.

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Damn you're right...I'm pretty sure one of the earlier beta's supported AVRCP, unless I'm going nuts I was able to change tracks with my BT headphones before. The quality doesn't sound too great either.

5. ukdy thread starter macrumors member

After checking out Apple Discussions it appears it does work but has been disabled because of a bug.. Apparently there is a ticket open on the Apple Developer Network buglist.

Unless someone has access to this we'll not know exactly what is going on.

The bluetooth streaming sounds great to me... but I still want to be able to change tracks.

AVRCP may have worked in a beta but been disabled until it works right!

Come on Apple let's get this working!!

6. ukdy thread starter macrumors member

Just checked out the other profiles missing from the iPhone.. and the Address Book Profile: Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) is not their either. This would be a good thing to have so the Bluetooth device can show who is calling the iPhone so you don't have to look at your iPhone whilst driving and risk a fine from the Police.

In detail all the Bluetooth profiles the iPhone does not support:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
    Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
    Basic Imaging Profile (BIP)
    Basic Printing Profile (BPP)
    Cordless Telephony Profile (CTP)
    Device ID Profile (DID)
    Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN)
    Fax Profile (FAX)
    File Transfer Profile (FTP)
    General Audio/Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP)
    Generic Access Profile (GAP)
    Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)
    Human Interface Device Profile (HID)
    Intercom Profile (ICP)
    Object Push Profile (OPP)
    Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)
    Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
    Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Service Discovery Application Profile (SDAP)
    SIM Access Profile (SAP,SIM)
    Synchronisation Profile (synch)
    Video Distribution Profile (vdp)
    Wireless Application Protocol Bearer (WAPB)

Courtesy iphonebuzz.com

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The iPhone does support address book transfer: I've got bluetooth built in to my car and it transfers the address book from my iPhone to my car and the name of a caller shows up on the in car display. I can also call people from the address book using the car controls.

8. ukdy thread starter macrumors member

Really?? Wow I thought it didn't based on a few google searches. So you're telling me if you receive a call on your iPhone it shows on the display of your car the name and/or number?? Is this because now you've downloaded the address book to the car... or does it work without doing that.. I just wonder if you can't DL the address book would it pick it up straight from the iPhone?

Thanks for the reply.

9. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

I wonder if it's a quick plist edit to enable AVRCP because supposedly it was working in one of the earlier betas.

10. bronzini macrumors member

I can do it also when the BT actually works on my car. Seriously, it does work and my address book gets downloaded and I dial from the screen in the car.;)

11. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I don't have my Moto S9s anymore. But the back/forward buttons as I remember worked fine with 3.0 (beta).

12. ukdy thread starter macrumors member

Well this is encouraging. As I found out it looks like it's been disabled because of a bug. Quite a few people have said it was there in the Beta... but not the final release!!

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep - the name of the caller shows up on the screen in my car. Also, the address book synchronizes automatically with my car - as soon as I make a change to an address it shows in the car's address book. I simply select an person from the address book and call them all from my car's controls

14. Johnathan macrumors member

dosn't support a2dp? whatchoo talkin bout?

Supposedly it will support AVRCP as it was in a late beta... but was taken out due to it being broken... so maybe next update....

-j