Missing Calls with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martinmartin, Sep 9, 2007.

1. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I am thinking about getting an iPhone this week but I want to ask users how often they 'miss' calls due to Edge or other reasons.

I have read that you *may* not be able to receive calls while using edge. Obviously this means browsing the net, but does this also apply if your phone is just checking for email behind the scenes? I have a Blackberry Pearl on ATT's edge which receives email immediately (I'm assuming it's constantly checking) and I never miss calls due to this - why would the iPhone be different?

I have also read threads where people miss calls while their phone is in sleep mode.

Can iPhone users out there elaborate on this? Is this an issue? How often do you 'mistakenly' miss calls?

Thanks.

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

You're only missing calls if you're online and browsing thru Safari. Even then if the page finished loading and you're not pulling data thru edge it will ring.
    If the iphone is set to receive email at every 15 minutes and someone calls the call will go thru and email check go thru later.
    Also you never lose/miss calls if the iphone is in lock/sleep mode. Only if you shut the phone off just like any other cell it wont ring obviously.

3. ehoez macrumors member

yes, i do miss calls. (just like above poster said).

if you are using the web...

google maps, ect...

so i dont know if i can recomend this as a primary phone.

just 2 lines, and add on iphone as a 2nd line for only $29mo (it will use mins from the other line)

4. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

If I didnt want to use this as a primary phone, I would probably just get an ipod touch which is what i was planning on doing until apple dropped the iphone price.

Realistically, i dont see myself carrying around the touch and a phone - thats why Id like to just get 1 device that does it all.

I am either at my office or at home 90% of the time and wifi is available in both places, so missing calls shouldnt be a problem then. I dont think ill be using the internet too much at other times. Although the phone will be checking for email over edge when im out... (something my blackberry does very well - instantly without interrupting phone functions).

Anyone out there recommend the iphone as a primary phone?

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Yes, since I got my iPhone and moved away from Verizon service, I do miss a few calls a week.

Pretty sad but I am used to AT&T service already :rolleyes:

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

lol, my exact experience. I'm becoming desensitized to dropping calls on at&t. Never happened on VZ.

On another note, I am a little pleased with the way at&t handles calls when on EDGE. I called my cell number from a landline while I was looking up info on Google Maps, and the call hung for about 10 seconds until the iPhone became available, then the call went through. Pretty nice way of handling it.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Happily I think I've only lost one phone call but I've missed I'd say about 30% of all incoming calls because the ringer volume is just too low. I've since fixed this by adding in a new and much louder ringer via ringtones.

8. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you miss the calls because you are browsing the net (using Edge) or do you miss the calls at other random times?

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I got the phone the day it came out and I use it as my primary phone. I have not missed a single call due to EDGE. I have email checking every 15 min too. Maybe I've just been lucky with the timing.

I did have 1 rogue voicemail appear this weekend, but it couldn't have been because of EDGE because I was on the phone at the time the VM was left.

It's certainly not like when I was with Alltel and I would have random voicemails appear daily, and sometimes I wouldn't be notified of them until hours or days later. I must say it's a big upgrade from that.

10. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, what type of email accounts do you have set up on your phone?

Thanks.

11. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Well, for a while I had 2 gmail POP accounts and a .Mac account. But I got tired of my email not in sync with the web/phone/laptop. So I set my gmail accounts to forward to two email addresses I set up on a domain I own. My web host provides IMAP access.

So, I have two accounts that forward from gmail to IMAP. On the phone the incoming mail server is the IMAP at my domain and the outgoing is smtp.gmail.com.

The .mac account is obviously IMAP.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Neither. I will be powering my iPhone up at night and randomly will get some voice mails from a day earlier. Or (and this is my favorite) I will send text messages and they arrive at their destination 24-48 hours later.

All at a place that is not blocked by anything to hurt the reception.

Other times at work people will say they tried calling me but didn't leave a voice mail...I would never get them.

I dunno, I never had this problem for 2 years with Verizon.

13. avalys macrumors 6502

Unless your life depends on receiving communication from other people in absolute real time, I hardly think this is a reason not to use an iPhone as your primary phone. And if that's the case, a cell phone is really not for you anyway.

So what if you miss a call because you're on the web? When the page finishes loading, you'll get the voicemail.