missing case screw for 15" mbp 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danyuhlj, Sep 27, 2012.

1. danyuhlj macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.
    Yesterday I upgraded my ram (4gb to 8gb), put in a 128 gb samsung 830 SSD, and put my old 500g hard disk drive into an optibay for my 1month old mbp.
    I was a total newbie to it and used online guides to do so and luckily everything worked out fine.
    Well it seems...
    I actually lost 1 of the small screws for the macbook case and I searched hours for it but couldn't find it :( I'm using my laptop fine without it but I'm afraid something might happen (1 missing screw causing laptop to open a bit? dust getting in the screw hole or gap between case/inside because of missing screw?)
    From what it looks, its fine but I'm just curious as to what you more knowledgeable people would think.

and a 2nd question if it's alright, my MBP didn't heat up much before and was very cool yesterday but today it seems to heat up a bit. Is this ok? It's not severe but just a little more hotter than it used to be. Or maybe it's because I used it on my lap today (body heat?)?

anyways thank you!

-MBP newbie

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's not that serious really. You can use it if you're missing a screw, you don't have to worry about it.

3. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Can you order more screws? In the meantime just put a small piece of painters tape over it if you are that worried.

4. danyuhlj thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick replies!
    the tape idea is a good idea, i'll go do that.

and i forgot to mention that I also have an black torx-6 screw from inside the macbook... after taking out the screws and putting them back in i realized that i had 1 extra. i looked all over to find a place where i could put the screw but i couldn't find any. everything seemed to be firmly in place with nothing loose so i just gave up and closed it up. will this be a problem or again is it nothing to worry about?
    this is the last question i swear! thanks!!

edit: i could order more screws but the only thing i found was a bag of like 8 screws for $8 which is just too expensive for my tastes. i would pay a buck for just 1 screw though.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The T6 screws are for mounting the hard drive. You may have only mounted it with 3 of the 4 screws if you have an "extra."

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Hopefully ... the missing screw isn't floating around inside the computer. :eek:

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Should be fine.. but Threadloc

I agree that it will not be of any Mechanical Impact to holding your computer together.. However it should be noted that the Bottom Case Cover does have a bit more chance to flex without all the screws, and you may want to check them for tightness every 6 months or so..

Also, you may have see that the Screw Threads have a bit of 'blue thread-lock' on them, and not putting something like this back on after removal will give them a chance to loosen up easier as well!! :apple:

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

If it is the unibody MBP than whichever Apple store you go should have them in stock and should just give it to you for free. I also had this issue, but on my rMBP and was given replacement screws after a week of ordering them in.

9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, they lost one of my screws from the bottom one time when I had my MBP in for repair. I asked and they just brought one out from the back for me.

10. danyuhlj thread starter macrumors newbie

wait, i just have to randomly go to the apple store with my macbook and say "hi do you guys have a screw for my macbook?" and they will give one to me? :eek:

this is too good to be true, really??

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The screw itself probably costs a penny, or less. It wouldn't hurt to try.

12. ramram55 macrumors 6502

It is true, you got to ask they got you for over 1k of sale, take your machine and let them know one screw is missing.
    I have to replace my hard drive with with apple care and it so happen they would not touch the internal ssd hd and end up with giving me a new hd,
    yet I have to put the bad hd drive in and only they will replace with new hd.
    I asked them to replace all the screws they did that, consider the apple care extra $300 plus, a new drive and few screws replace, apple still ahead.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You bought a $2,500+ computer and are worried about an $8 bag of screws? This is why we can't have nice things...

14. danyuhlj thread starter macrumors newbie

$1800 to be exact :p It was actually a combined gift from all my relatives+parents for my graduation from highschool plus the fact that I used a $280 pc laptop for the last 4 years. I'm actually quite frugal with my money and I don't want to dish out $8 for a screw :p

I don't have applecare, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Now I just have to wait until I go home during the break to find an apple store... I just found it kind of funny and almost unbelievable that I could just walk into an apple store and get something for free :D

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's not making you look any better you know.

Yes, Apple has some of the best CS across the board, and I still find your logic as amusing as you find getting something for free from them. Also, how can you not have Applecare on a 2012 machine?

16. ramram55 macrumors 6502

danyuhlj,
    Definitely stop in apple store and try, set up an appointment with genius bar before you go.
    As the saying goes 'the mountain will not come to muhammad, so muhammad has to go to the mountain'.
    Apple care is not big of a deal if you can take of your machine yourself.

17. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

High school? MBP? I hope you got a full ride to an Ivy League school with a present like that for graduation. I got my son a 13 in MBP and he is quite happy with it. He had been using a Mac mini and an assortment of "bottom feeder" PCs through high school.

You haven't had the machine for a year yet. You have AppleCare. If you haven't had the machine for 90 days yet. You have phone support as part of your AppleCare. So the term AppleCare refers not only to the paid subscription which costs $349 for a 15 in Macbook Pro, but in this thread it means normal warranty which is 1 year on hardware and 90 days of phone support. Even after all your free/paid AppleCare runs out, you are still entitled to a Genius Bar appointment where they will try to help you for free (up to a certain limit).

18. danyuhlj thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not trying to make myself look better? Why would I look bad for accepting a gift from my parents/relatives that I didn't even ask for? The only person who looks bad here is you for assuming things about me.

Also, getting a screw for free wasn't my "logic". Someone here told me that it was possible and if I can get something for free why would I pay for it? Some people do fine without applecare and take care of their laptops (I've never broken a cellphone, laptop, computer, etc. and most end up in almost mint condition after 1,2 years use). Thanks for being condescending-- not. By the way, I did get my screw for free.

I don't know about where you live but relative to my area, MBP in high school is nothing special; it's actually the norm. I don't know why you are comparing me to my son when we are obviously from different backgrounds and situations. But I too have happily used various bottom feeder computers (I've never had a laptop over $300 in my life until now and have used only dell/toshiba). And I did get almost a full scholarship to a school which is ranked top 10 in the nation for its major. Also, it wasn't just my parents who bought it, it was all my relatives (9 aunts, 6 uncles, 2grandpa/grandma).

Not sure why some of you are automatically assuming that I'm a spoiled kid when I'm trying to save all the money I can. Though my family is thankfully financially stable, I'm also a college student who is for the most part financially independent. Either way, I got my problem resolved within 5 minutes by genius bar and was very pleased with the CS there.

19. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yeah they have a bunch of the 3mm screws in back even out of warranty will replace it. They will also remove stripped screws for free on out of warranty machines. The only problem is if they don't have the part that might be damaged (like a HDD bracket).

20. krash91 macrumors newbie

krash91

HAH, you're more mature than older people on most forums! Glad you got your problem fixed man!

21. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10