Missing Email Attachments

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 83dons, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 83dons macrumors newbie

Hi

I am trying to diagnose an error for a client of mine, who uses MAC OSX TIGER 10.4.11 and AppleMail (version 2.1.2 (753)). I have never used a MAC but i think this problem must be down to a MAC setting by a process of elimination.

I use CPANEL (version 11.16.0) webmail (specifically Squirrelmail) from a Linux server to acces my emails. I usually use IE 7.0 on my Windows XP Pro PC.

My client often receives emails with picture attachments (jpg or gif). he will then routinely forward these to me, sometimes adding a word or two to the email. When I open my email I often see the name of the .jpg or .gif but there is no attachment there. Sometimes i see just a small shape where the file should be but i cannot open this. My CPANEL admin says this is likely an issue with some MAC setting as it does not happen when PC emails are forwarded using outlook.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this loss of attachments?

Thanks

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well I have had an issue when forwarding (or adding attachments) to people with certain windows setups who see the exact same result on their end. The solution is quite easy (or at least it was for me). Have your client attach the jpg's/gif's to the email to you; When the browser box comes up to attach the files, have them select the "Send Window's friendly attachments" at the bottom of the window. That should work.

P.S. it's Mac not MAC :)

3. 83dons thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I presume you mean for him to download the picture attachments he receives then send me a new email and attach them using the option you suggest? I can suggest this but he should be able to take an email with a picture attached and simply forward it completely to me and the attachment still be readable surely? It would be too time consuming for him given the large volume of emails to muck about downloading attachments then opening up new emails. Does your solution work with simple forwarding of emails or si there another setting in the 'Mac' applemail which he should set?

Thanks

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If it's a large volume your talking about then my suggestion might not be the best. Since I'm not at my Mac right now I'm not sure if there's a preference setting. I'll check though. I should point out that this might not be entirely a Mac issue; from my experience (sending pictures to PC using friends) some have been able to see the attachments just fine while some see what you see... I really don't know why... maybe it's an encoding / html issue. :eek:

When you get these emails from your client how big are they? Does the size of the email indicate they have an attachment?

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hi again,

I've checked on my home machine and I don't see anything in terms of preferences to change... however I did notice that the attachment window now has the "Send Windows - Friendly Attachments" selected by default. Maybe that's all that needs to be done... at the very least it's worth a shot for your client to try out.

I hope this does the trick!

Attached Files:

6. 83dons thread starter macrumors newbie

He says he has always had that checked, so that cant be the problem. It is specifically forwarded emails that have attachments on them. I have not had a problem with him sending a new email with his own attachments. It i just a hassle for him to have to download attachments, upload them again to a new email when he should be able to just forward them over. Anyone got any ideas?

7. masterme macrumors newbie

masterme

Apple Mail fw: Strange blue lego blocks appear with a ? mark in it, i.s.o. pictures

I noticed the same thing always, that once I forward emails with attachments or pictures in it, they are replaced by this strange blue lego block with ? in it.
    And no pictures.
    I tried everything to see what is the problem in Apple Mail selecting everything and then forwarding seemed to work, but still the receiver did not get pictures.
    Eventually I got it.

In Apple Mail/preferences/ composing
    change the message formating to "Plain Text". Sounds ridiculous, but then the pictures do appear in the mail, and the text seems to be layed out even better then in the original email.
    So it's something with the RICH TEXT in apple mail which screws up the original message.

Try it, it works

have fun!:)

8. masterme macrumors newbie

masterme

Apple Mail fw: Strange blue lego blocks appear with a ? mark in it, i.s.o. pictures

I noticed the same thing always, that once I forward emails with attachments or pictures in it, they are replaced by this strange blue lego block with ? in it.
    And no pictures.
    I tried everything to see what is the problem in Apple Mail selecting everything and then forwarding seemed to work, but still the receiver did not get pictures.
    Eventually I got it.

In Apple Mail/preferences/ composing
    change the message formating to plain text. Sounds ridiculous, but if you forward the email then, the pictures do appear in the mail, and the text seems to be layed out even better then in the original email.
    So it's something with the RICH TEXT in apple mail which screws up the original message.

Try it, it works

have fun!:)