Missing .epub files...???

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by robertcoogan, Dec 3, 2013.

1. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

I imported several .epub files into iBooks when Mavericks came out, and now I wanted to take some of them back out and convert them using Calibre to .mobi files. These are not iTunes eBooks, or any kind of eBook purchased through Apple.

When I went to drag the .epub files into Caibre, there weren't any .epub files at all. There are only folders with the .epub exsention. There are no actual files with the .epub extension inside those folders either.

Does anyone know where on a Mac one can find these .epub files? Thank you -

:confused:

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

You've checked both
    /Users/XXXX/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Books
    and
    /Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books (a hidden folder)?

If they're in the later, Apple's given them a number, and taken way their name.

3. robertcoogan thread starter macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

Tried that

Yes, I checked both locations for the files. That is why I am frustrated. It looks like Apple has taken my ebooks and converted them into a proprietary format. It reminds me of the way VMware divides up a virtual machine into component files. Most of the .epub files that were still there were labeled with numbers - but dragging them into Calibre revealed their names. The .epub folders would only reveal themselves if I drilled down and looked for the images that showed the ebook's cover.

Pretty frustrating, considering that there isn't an export function in iBooks. If it was purchased through Apple, DRM would prevent export - but you could still import/export your own files as you wish. Oh well.

:confused:

4. Partron22, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

You know, it just occured to me that .epub is a package format.. Those folders you are seeing may actually be the books, with invisible (.files) content.

There are epub packager/unpackager applications out there. You might try using one on a copy of those odd folders, and see if they magically turn into the books you are missing. -IOW, Apple may have screwed up the book's packaging in such a way that Finder isn't recognizing the packages as epub books.

Another thing to try is the 'Open With' contextual menu on those folders. If you're lucky, calibre may even show up as an option.

5. robertcoogan thread starter macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

That did it

I didn't know that .epub files could be unpacked...but I can import the folders into an application called ePub Packager, it does the job perfectly. I then drag the packed .epub files into Calibre, and it tells me what the title is.

Many thanks for the help -

:rolleyes: