Missing external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Narcosynthesis, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

I own a white Macbook (the pre unibody model) and since it is restricted to one 2.5" hard drive, I have a bus powered external drive plugged in for storing files on.

The problem I am having is that it has now vanished from the finder - previously I had it listed below 'Macbook HD' with the orange 'external drive' icon, which no longer appears.
    The drive is otherwise fine - I have an icon on the desktop, and if I search in the finder for the name of the drive it appears, which are both workable, but a pain when trying to quickly sort files between the internal and external drive, as I can no longer drag between them easily in one window.

I am guessing there is something small and idiotic I have done to cause this, any ideas what?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think all that's happened is that the drives were removed from the side bar (it has the same drag-and-erase functionality that the dock has. I'm on my Windows PC atm, so I can't check, but I think all that you have to do is drag the drive icon from the desktop back to the location in the side bar where you want it.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

Perfect, thanks.

It seems at some point I have ejected it and somehow managed to delete the icon too, dragging the desktop icon into the finder seems to have solved the issue.