Missing Features

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SuperPolli, Aug 13, 2013.

1. SuperPolli macrumors regular

Not sure if there is a similar thread for this but I figured I would start a thread for "missing" features in iOS 7. Whether they are features that were announced at WWDC but haven't appeared yet, features from iOS 6 that disappeared, or features that you feel should be in iOS 7 but aren't.

The feature that made me think to start this thread was the absence of Facebook and Twitter sharing widgets in Notification Center. I used these widgets all the time in iOS 6 and they haven't appeared in iOS 7.

Feel free to add your own and talk about this.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The missing widgets have been mentioned a number of times.
    In all fairness don't you think you should wait for the GM since a beta is not feature complete?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Beta should be feature complete short of perhaps some special "5S" type of feature that can come out with the GM.

4. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Chapter select pop-up control on the video app.

5. iphnhelp macrumors regular

In safari reader mode there is no text size control like iOS 6.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yep, so not feature complete. :)

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

In that sense, right, but in the sense as it relates to the topic of the thread dealing with a previously existing feature that isn't there now, it's quite unlikely that it will suddenly show up in the GM (I guess perhaps short of that secret "5S" feature somehow having something to do with it, which doesn't seem likely at all).

9. tekno macrumors 6502a

Email notification?

The biggest reason I moved away from iOS was it's poor prioritising of emails. Is it still the case that, without unlocking the phone and returning to the home screen, there is no way of knowing if any new emails have come through?

It's something I personally think is a huge oversight of the iPhone generally. With my work, emails can be a lot more important than calls, text messages, iMessages, Facebook updates etc.

10. hingedshinobi macrumors newbie

I get my emails on my lock screen, not sure if it's off by default though, and that's since Notification Center was released.

11. tekno macrumors 6502a

Ah, ok. Didn't know that. I left iOS, very frustrated, shortly before the notification centre was released. Good that it finally does it though - I hated unlocking my phone every ten minutes just to check for new emails.

Does anything ever appear in the toolbar for missed calls, emails, texts etc?

12. hingedshinobi macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not, that is the dream though. If Apple removed the carrier name they could fit in there, who needs to be reminded what carrier they are on all the time? I guess it's useful if you are roaming all over the shop maybe?

13. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I don't know if iPhone 5 Users still have take a picture while video recording? which was present in iOS 6

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, this is still possible.

15. CHMK macrumors regular

automatic app updates?

edit: oh wait it works. my bad. was toggling apps instead of updates as on in the settings...

facepalm

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is included in iOS 7.

17. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Notification center is off by default for emails. Not sure why. I would check notification settings first.

----------

You can even zoom now in recording videos!

18. shandyman Suspended

A 5S type feature won't come out with the GM, it'll come out with the release of the 5S. Like Siri and FaceTime before it :p

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Since the GM is typically announced when the new phone/hardware is announced, the "secret" feature is already shown off and is there in it at that time (perhaps it can't be made use of until people have the new phone/hardware to use it, but it's still there in the GM already that would be on that new phone/hardware). :D

20. shandyman Suspended

But it won't be in the GM, it'll be on the new device. There's a reason there are different files for each device. You show me a copy of the GM for the new device, then you'll be correct :p

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

It will be the GM for that device. Just because no one outside of Apple will have access to that GM until the device is actually released doesn't make it any less of a GM, which essentially by definition is the version of the OS/software that is released to manufacturers/partners (in case of Apple basically to their own suppliers) to install.

22. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I believe iOS in the Car is missing? Not too sure but I haven't seen it around YouTube yet.

23. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

- The proper albums view on the iPad (grid view).
    This new list view is proper ugly and harder to find what you want. I've found things like this in multiple places in iOS7 for iPad, however only here can it be considered a 'missing feature'.

- Sharing reminders lists from iPhone.
    I've never, and will never understand why you have to go onto a PC or Mac to share a reminders list. I thought Apple made iOS 'PC Free' with iOS5?!

- An indicator that media is playing over AirPlay
    Why can I only see if AirPlay is activated from Control Center, I should be able to see this from inside the Music app.

- Choose from multiple voices for Siri in the UK.

- A way to exit Newsstand on the iPad without pressing the home button?!

- Search web from Spotlight, PLUS dictionary and thesaurus from Spotlight would be nice, not sure if they were there before though.

24. shandyman Suspended

Thats where you come unstuck, as the device specific new feature would not be introduced internally on a GM, it would be in the internal betas for the device so they can actually test it...... Nice try though. :p

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess I might be getting "unstuck" as I don't really follow that part of it. :p