Missing fonts.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappySnail, Jan 3, 2012.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my fonts, specifically in google chrome. I tried a demo for Fontcase recently and it seemed to mess up my fonts a bit. For a while a lot of them disappeared and now they've returned but I can't view some fonts with google chrome now.

Screenshot of pitchfork.com: http://i.imgur.com/4oKHE.png
    The body of text has completely gone.
    The same thing happens on the bbc and adobe websites among others.

Is there any way to restore fonts or fix this easily?

Thanks for any help

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to tell from your screenshot, but it looks like that app messed up your system fonts.

Open Font Book app and in the File menu tell it to restore standard fonts. Also select all fonts and have Font Book validate the fonts.

3. HappySnail thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, restoring standard fonts seemed like a sensible thing to do. It warned me that it would move non system fonts to a folder after doing this so I went ahead. It cleaned the fonts up and removed most of my fonts, only 20 or so appeared where they should. I've now lost 936 fonts and I can't see them at all.
    I searched the system folder but all that I have are PDF previews made by fontcase.
    I don't know where they've all gone but I can't find them doing a search including system files.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can't you just reinstall the fonts you really need? Over 900 fonts seems like a lot and may slow down your system.

5. HappySnail thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's why I tried the new software, to organise them and work out what I needed. I'll have to start again it seems. 900 counts all the variations of each font so there aren't that man, I use a lot of them for design work or other stuff but I can't seem to restore them whatever.
    I can search in Time Machine and get the font i need but when I go to the folder it's listed in they aren't there. It's odd.