Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottXe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 successfully. However there are some malfunctions such as no sound and no configuration of built-in touchpad. Is it possible to locate the correct drivers for 32-bit Windows 10?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
As long as you know the vendor of those components, you may be able to download generic driver for windows 10, on your Mac.

You can even try to use Windows 7 one of Windows 10 one is not available.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If your machine will support it you should be able to install Windows 10 64-bit.
You'll have to do a clean install but if you've successfully upgraded from 7 to 10 32-bit then you won't need a new license.
Just download the 64-bit ISO of Windows 10 and then perform a clean install.
Then you can install the 64-bit Bootcamp drivers that you're missing.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-to/40d90c4e-8845-4bcb-bb2f-aeab312caf74

Last edited:

ScottXe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Hi Gjwilly,

I love to upgrade from 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 10. It requires to do a clean install. Does the clean install including removing the exiting partition? If so, how Windows knows my machine is a qualified one for Windows 10 so it will not ask for the product key.

May I dare to ask if you have really installed 64-bit Windows 10 using Bootcamp to create the USB driver and its Windows support software successfully? I hardly see the successful person in Apple Community to talk about their success and very doubt if the Apple new Bootcamp is helpful or not.

ScottXe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
As long as you know the vendor of those components, you may be able to download generic driver for windows 10, on your Mac.

You can even try to use Windows 7 one of Windows 10 one is not available.
Thanks for your suggestion! I am not an enthusiasm and unsure how to do it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hi Gjwilly,

I love to upgrade from 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 10. It requires to do a clean install. Does the clean install including removing the exiting partition? If so, how Windows knows my machine is a qualified one for Windows 10 so it will not ask for the product key.

May I dare to ask if you have really installed 64-bit Windows 10 using Bootcamp to create the USB driver and its Windows support software successfully? I hardly see the successful person in Apple Community to talk about their success and very doubt if the Apple new Bootcamp is helpful or not.
Uh, maybe you need to purchase a new product key because 32-bit Windows don't use the same key on 64-bit system. The price of them are different.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks for your suggestion! I am not an enthusiasm and unsure how to do it.
Uh, this could be tedious and cumbersome.

To speak it for short, you will need to know which component is on your Mac. You can download AIDA64 or CPU-Z, or other hardware detection software to do this.

Then, according to vendor name of each component, or at least, major one, such as motherboard, graphics card, sound card, you will need to dig into each vendor's official site, and find proper drive for your machine.

After that, you need to install them one by one.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi Gjwilly,

When you upgraded from 7 to 10 it analyzed your system, assigned you a unique identifier, and sent it to Microsofts servers. As long as you reinstall 10 onto the same machine with no major hardware changes then it will recognize your system and automatically activate.
Whenever you're asked for a license key during the installation just skip over it.

As for Bootcamp, if your machine is officially supported by Apple for both Windows 10 and Bootcamp 6 then I don't know why you should have any problems.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
So I purchase a 32 bit version, and activate a 64 bit version same sku Windows?
You can buy a 32-Bit Windows 7/8/8.1 version for the key. Then install the 64-Bit version and activate it with the 32-Bit key. I don´t know about Windows 10, this may be different.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can buy a 32-Bit Windows 7/8/8.1 version for the key. Then install the 64-Bit version and activate it with the 32-Bit key. I don´t know about Windows 10, this may be different.
Ah, seems that I am wrong.

Thanks for your correction. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.