Missing functions or i'm just dumb

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by genome2k, Jun 21, 2011.

1. genome2k macrumors member

Hi guys and moderators

I've been looking for these 2 functions up and down and everywhere but it seems i can't them. So i had to assume MacRumor forum doesn't have them, but i am sure it would be really great if MacRumor, the de facto No.1 Mac forum, would have them:

1. Auto subscription: It would be nice to have this function in the control panel that user can set the defaults:
    i.​
    User can set a default to auto subscribe to any new post he/she initiated. (also options for instant email and etc.)
    ii.​
    User can set a default to auto subscribe to any post he/she has replied. (also options for instant email and etc.)

2. "My Posts", "My Replied Posts", and "My Favorite": Now if i wanna find all my posts i have to go into the Advanced Search and use my username a keyword for the search. But it'd been much easier if in the "Quick Links" we have:

(i) My Posts: All the posts I posted.
    (ii) My Replied Posts: All the posts I replied to.
    (iii) My Favorite or "My collections" and a "Put the thread in My favorite" button in the "Thread Tools": All the posts I marked as favorite for later reference and reading.

By the way, if in Advanced Search we had a Boolean search function would be another bonus: People always want accurate search results than a bunch of overwhelming but irrelevant information. For example:

Search for: [(Chrome) OR (FireFox) NOT (Safari)] AND [(Extension) OR (plugin) OR (plug-in) OR (addon) OR (add-on)]

2. simsaladimbamba

1. User CP > Settings & Options >> Edit Options >>> Messaging & Notification >>>> Default Thread Subscription Mode

2. Click on your name, click "View Public Profile", then click "Statistics", then you have the options of searching for your posts (it only lists the last 1000 or so) and your own threads)

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You can set up auto-subscription in your User CP under "Edit Options", under "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Pick any one of the options other than "Do not subscribe".

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Boolean searching is supported:
    AND: hello & world (or just "hello world")
    OR: hello | world
    NOT: hello -world
    grouping: ( hello world )​

5. genome2k thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys but is there a work-around for "My Favorite"? Thanks

6. genome2k thread starter macrumors member

Ok Thanks to simsaladimbamba and ergdegdeg's advice i looked into that CP Control options. It seems it does solve part of the problem but it is still not what i was talking about.

What i was hoping for was there were separate default settings for "My Posts" and "My Replied Posts". Let's say I want to be auto-subscribed to all the posts I initiated (my posts) but i do NOT want to auto-subscribe to all the posts i reply.

Reasons why I want to have it this way is apparent. Users usually initiate a topic when he/she expects some answer or advice so he/she wants to followup the post as closely as possible. This is when the auto-subscription becomes really handy.

But when a user is replying to a topic maybe he was just sharing some advice or was trying to help, but he doesn't really care about the followups (what others say). So he/she may not want to be emailed for every following replies.

This is a big different as I see it.

But the User CP option seems to have mixed the two in one - you either get auto-subscribed and emailed for the both kind of threads or you don't get auto-subscribed.