missing hard drive space (i did search)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neverownedapc, May 3, 2009.

1. neverownedapc macrumors member

neverownedapc

i had to buy a 300gb hard after the last one took a dump and i paid to have it installed and set-up so it'd be flawless. now i came across another problem; after trying to download a LEGAL torrent file (which i will never do again) i lost 2/3 of my hard drive. i used many of the free apps available to locate any unusual large files and came up with nothing except a 2.4gm private file. after using disk utility it says this:

297.8gb capacity
    36.1gb available
    75.4 gb used

wtf? how the hell do i not have the 200gb i am supposed to have?

help would be great so i don't have to pay again to have my mac serviced.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    have you tried using disk inventory x? Also maybe reinstalling the OS or repairing permissions on the new drive might help

5. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

tried inventory x and it showed nothing of the missing space as the rest of the free apps i downloaded like stated above. i tried repairing permissions and that did nothing and i shouldn't have to reinstall the os to fix this.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't give any information as to whether you tried the recommendations in those links, such as emptying the trash, repairing permissions, indicating whether you have the drive partitioned, etc. Without knowing the details of your situation, the best response is to point you to threads where others have asked the same question.

8. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

sorry, thought the details would be self explanatory since i was in disk repair and i thought it'd be known that i already had gone through the motions.

details: 300gb hd, non partitioned. 10.5.6 os. period. so any help now? or any other info needed?

been done multiple times since problem. are there people that don't do this on the regular?

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can't. Your hard disk controller is limited to 120 gb (120,000/1024=111 gb). Only solution is to buy an external enclosure with a recent controller (last few years).

That, or you have a defective drive.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wasnt aware you could buy 300gb hard drives, i thought they only game in 320gb configurations!

i hardly ever delete my trash, sometimes it gets up to 100gb worth of data.

i cant think of what the problem would be, do an archive and install haha

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm curious Cave Man - Would their hard disk controller have been limited to 120 gb (120,000/1024=111 gb) all along? Could it have changed down?

Just wondering (i've seen on another PC HD and some external drives misreporting of space/drive size).

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i cloned a smaller drive to a larger one. there was only a single partition but it took the capacity of the smaller drive..... could that be this type of problem or arent they related?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know you said you searched, and you provided a lot of details, but I have a couple more questions. What torrent client did you use. Was it Azureus? Any chance you're experiencing this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200602101655424

It seems to fit your situation pretty well. In any event, my next suggested step would be to go in with the terminal as suggested there and see if this kind of thing is going on.

14. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's the controller's addressing. I have an old 2.5" IDE enclosure with an Oxford chip in it that has this limit. I tried putting in a 160 gb drive and it came back as only 111.7 gb. So I returned the "defective" drive only to find out that the its replacement also showed up 111.7 gb.