Missing Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bdphifer, Oct 14, 2014.

1. bdphifer macrumors newbie

Was cleaning out my main HDD the other day, and was looking at the storage tab in System Information. It shows ~100g of space taken up by 'movies.' There shouldn't be that much if any movies on the main HDD, as I have moved the media files to an external drive. Also the System Information shows 210g being used, and the Finder lists 131g free (I have a 50g Yosemite beta partition).

The problem is that if you add up the totals of the very large folders, showing hidden files, I can only calculate ~105 being used. Hence the mysterious movie files! When I use finder to locate the video files, using Kind, there is a small amount of video files; understandable, but not 100G.

I chatted with Apple today, and was disconnected when being moved up to a senior, but they didn't seem to have an easy answer. I ran out of time waiting for them, so I didn't rush to reconnect. I may try tomorrow over the phone.

My questions...if I initialize the HDD, and reinstall OS X with Time Machine, would it solve this problem?

If I wait until later this week and install Yosemite do I do a similar procedure, resulting in what I'm looking for?

TIA!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

3. bdphifer thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Thanks GGJStudios!

I read elsewhere on MacRumors about reindexing Spotlight, tried that last night to no avail.

Ran OmniDisk this morning with the results below. The Drive list has 316g used and the Sweep list has 149g used.

The second pic is the System Information data for my Macintosh HD.

Based on the OmniDisk data seems that there is something 'hiding' in the drive. May not be the right term, but there something between the two parts of that data.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files: