Missing Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trevorlsciact, Apr 20, 2008.

1. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

OK this isn't a huge deal (NOT) since I have 37 GB free, but...

232.5 GB HD, 37.57 GB free, but when i add up the values of each folder
    Applications:6.72 GB
    Developer: 4.58 GB
    Library: 12.14
    System: 4.17
    Users: 66.18

I get: 93.79 GB. so there is about 138.71 GB of missing space (when i check the info on the hard drive is says I'm using allot more, but i know this isn't so)

What is causing this? And how can I get my GB's back? iMac 20" intel core duo 2GHz running the latest Leopard, but had the problem since tiger.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Do you have more than one user? If you check the space used on the Users folder, it will only give you your current user, the shared user, and I think any apps directory that might be inside the other users folders. It won't give you the full space used for them.

3. trevorlsciact thread starter macrumors regular

82 GB of space used by other users, still doesnt account for the whole amount.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Using the Get Info additions like you did, I got 11 GB unaccounted for.

5. trevorlsciact thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm i guess i reall am using that much then, odd :confused::eek::eek:

6. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

Sorry if this is stupid obvious, but have you emptied the Trash? If you put something in the trash but don't empty it, that something is still taking up hard drive space.

There is another possibility, but it will involve using the command line. I once found a bunch of space that I couldn't account for. When I was defragging (which I do b/c I play with giant HD video files) I saw the file names being moved, and they were hidden copies of things I had deleted or moved to an external drive. I don't know why there were still there. If you're comfortable with the command line try poking around in some of the low level directories and see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be there.

Good luck.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I did the same and came up with 15gb unaccounted for

8. windowpain macrumors 6502a

You could try something like Disk inventory X to show you what is taking up the space.

http://www.derlien.com/

9. Sweet Jane macrumors newbie

Missing 80 GB!

My HD has a capacity of 152.5 GB.
    According to the "Get Info" 144.2 GB is being used.

Like the previous poster experienced, the sum of the individual folders in HD (about 60 GB) does not total the amount "Used."

I used Disk Inventory X. Same thing. First screen says 144.2 GB used. Click on the HD and the break down adds up to 62 GB.

I went into all users and emptied the trash.

Where's my 80 GB??

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You could have many cache files created (they may be invisible) or have a problem with the disk directory structure (bad inode count).

Have you run Disk Utility and run a Disk Verify to see if there are any problems with the structure?

You can do a "Safe Boot" which will run a file system check and repair (fsck in Unix) and clean out some of those cache files.

You can also use the utility Onyx to do some maintenance on your disk

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070&vid=501083&mode=info

HTH