Missing HD Space

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kgeier82, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kgeier82, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Missing hard drive space (60GB) in 10.9.1. Anyone have any ideas?

2012 Retina MBP 512GB SSD
    -100GB Bootcamp partition
    -400GB OSX partition

Finder reporting 114GB used, but other apps reporting only ~55GB. I went through and look at all my files, including OS, and its about 55 total.

?!
    edit: tried "sudo tmutil disablelocal" but no work

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to do a repair disk on your drive. See what that reports then look at space used again after a reboot.

If that does not fix it run the command below in Terminal then post the output here. It will list the root folders and how many GB is in each. Let the command run, it takes a couple minutes.

Some of those space analyzer apps don't seem to see everything for some reason.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

3. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

hmmm weird. Thanks for the DU Kung-fu

Its weird DU is reporting 55GB from my /Volumes directory for Time Machine, but its been formatted with DiskUtil. hmmmm. I'm wondering why if I run the command on rootdir why its reporting anything from externals.

Attached Files:

4. dribando macrumors newbie

Check Trash

I had similar problem. Turns out items stored in Trash count against disk space. Delete Trash and then check your space again.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That command shows contents for all attached volumes when you run it with that /Volumes at the end like you did. You can do it again for that /Volumes/TM1500 volumes to see what is going on there.

That original Finder space used looks about right if I am adding up just the internal drive folders correctly. You can run the command below to see what is taking up that 71GB in /Users.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /Users

6. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I get all that but still if internal drive reporting 72 used...why does finder say 100+

That's my problem. Weird hu

Doing time machine restore let's see what it shows

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... odd. Was the Finder still showing ~100 used right around the time you did the du command that showed 72? Is Finder still showing 100?

Did you do the command-r then disk repair I mentioned?

8. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did com-R and repaired, no change. I ended up restoring from a TimeMachine backup I just took before rebooting. Back to what it should be...

When I ran DU originally, it still didnt add up to what Finder said. Weird hu. I think DU said 100, and Finder said 121 (used).

Bizarro.