Missing HD Space...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zombieray, Apr 13, 2014.

1. zombieray macrumors newbie

I have the last generation model of white MacBooks and I have OS X Maverick installed.

I have available 15.91 GB out of 249.2 GB in Memory.

15.91 GB Free Space

173.68 GB Media Folder
    1.64 GB iPhoto Library (no additional Photos in Photos folder)
    1.11 GB Documents Folder
    31.60 GB iTunes Library
    7.62 GB Applications Folder
    3.92 GB Library
    5.78 GB System > Library

= 241.26 (counting 15.91 Free Space)

So I am unable to account for 7.94 GB. :confused: I checked to see If I had any old volumes on my computer. I did not. Wondered if anyone could help me get to the bottom of this mystery. Also if Library or System/Library seems unusually large to anyone?

I should also mention that when I go to About This Mac > Storage, that everything shows as "other" under memory and it is not broken down by Audio, Movies, Photos, Apps...

2. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

OmniDiskSweeper is a great (FREE) tool to see exactly where your space is being used up:
    OmniDiskSweeper

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are some hidden swap files and cache files you cannot see in Finder normally and those easily add up to ~8GB, so I think you are fine.

That space used graphic gets its data from the Spotlight index, and sometimes that index gets corrupted and will cause the odd readout you are seeing. Run the command below in Terminal and wait for the reindex to complete then you should see correct numbers in that graphic.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /