Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
What does it mean when an icon "goes missing from the desktop" for a file. The name of the file is still there, but the icon itself has gone "invisible."

I am including a screen shot. A short while ago you would have been able to see a folder icon above the name. Now you only see the desktop background.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 261

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Maybe the picture is gone, if so try the following.

Go to a filder which does has it's pictures. Right mouse click and check properties, or more info or whatever it's called in english. (It shows the tab with information about that map, size, colour etc). Now click on the picture in this window. The picture of the map. Press Command C or right mouse and copy. Now go the icon without picture, go to the place where the picture should be, and press command v or right mouse click paste.

I don't if everything is correct what I said, cause I'm not in front of my mac. Just use your brains and you'll get there.

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Maybe the picture is gone, if so try the following.

Go to a filder which does has it's pictures. Right mouse click and check properties, or more info or whatever it's called in english. (It shows the tab with information about that map, size, colour etc). Now click on the picture in this window. The picture of the map. Press Command C or right mouse and copy. Now go the icon without picture, go to the place where the picture should be, and press command v or right mouse click paste.

I don't if everything is correct what I said, cause I'm not in front of my mac. Just use your brains and you'll get there.

Sounds like two good suggestions (this one and the previous poster's), but unfortunately at this point the file has been deleted, and when I pull it out of the Trash, it now has a picture. I will remember this suggestions for next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.