Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruceOriginal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Greetings. I am having an issue with iMovie '09. I wanted to import a large movie file from an external drive to begin editing it. The video was sufficiently large enough that it required an hour to import into iMovie. The trouble is, my main hard drive only had about 10gb of space left. So, about midway through the import, I got the low space warning. Before the file completely finished, the import stopped, and my drive is showing only 25mb free. Since iMovie cannot locate the footage, clearly the import was not successful.

The problem, however, is that the giant import file cannot be found anywhere on my drive. When I open the project container, the only things that are in there are a file named Project, which is 2kb and is not a container (I cannot right-click and show contents), and a folder entitled QuickLook which is empty. I've done a general drive search for anything which might have the name of the original movie footage, and nothing comes up. Given how much space this import is taking up, getting rid of it is kind of a priority. I've done as thorough of a search of my drive for files created/referenced today, and cannot locate it. Any help as to what this file might be named or where it might be contained would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Greetings. I am having an issue with iMovie '09. I wanted to import a large movie file from an external drive to begin editing it. The video was sufficiently large enough that it required an hour to import into iMovie. The trouble is, my main hard drive only had about 10gb of space left. So, about midway through the import, I got the low space warning. Before the file completely finished, the import stopped, and my drive is showing only 25mb free. Since iMovie cannot locate the footage, clearly the import was not successful.

The problem, however, is that the giant import file cannot be found anywhere on my drive. When I open the project container, the only things that are in there are a file named Project, which is 2kb and is not a container (I cannot right-click and show contents), and a folder entitled QuickLook which is empty. I've done a general drive search for anything which might have the name of the original movie footage, and nothing comes up. Given how much space this import is taking up, getting rid of it is kind of a priority. I've done as thorough of a search of my drive for files created/referenced today, and cannot locate it. Any help as to what this file might be named or where it might be contained would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is the original large file still intact?

A great tool I use to clean up my hard drives in Omni disc sweeper

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7402/omnidisksweeper

it shows you otherwise hidden files that can be deleted.

I dont know much about imovie, but my thought is that somewhere there is a temp folder which contains the data for imported media.. and since the drive filled up it may have been corrupted, and now hidden.

You need alot more space then 10gbs free!! you need to add another drive or clean things up.. you are on the brink of losing all the data on that drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.