Missing iPhone Feature? See your contacts on map

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bry2k, Jun 19, 2009.

1. bry2k macrumors newbie

Whatever happened to the feature where you could see the location of everyone in your address book who has an iPhone on a map? They advertised that functionality a long time ago, but I still don't see it in OS 3. I didn't see it in the big list of features either.

Just curious if it's there and I'm not seeing it...and if it is there, how do you use it?

Or am I misremembering things...? Didn't they talk about this feature at a keynote address?

:apple: :D :apple: :p :apple: :D :apple: :eek: :apple: :D :apple: :rolleyes: :apple: :D :apple: :eek: :apple: :D :apple:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can click on an address of someone in your address book to see that on Google Maps, but I don't remember anything about being able to track people who have an iPhone (would be a bit of an invasion of privacy anyway...)

3. mak10 macrumors regular

I think in the keynote talking about the app store (when it was first announced) they talked about "loopt" which essentially shows you where your friends are, but they have to have the program as well and have to authorize you to see where they are. There's also google latitude that was rumored to work in a browser on OS 3.0, but again, still have to have authorization from your friends to see where they are...

4. Flipstar macrumors member

You're likely referring to Google Latitude. It's still not up for the iPhone if you go the Safari browser way. It says "Coming Soon." Also, I think I read somewhere that you will be able to access Google Latitude through the Google app.

5. sziehr macrumors 6502a

actualy you can. if you go into maps app and type in the name of a contact that you have entered the address for it will show up and drop a pin on the map. this is great stuff

6. rantanplan41 macrumors newbie

There's an App for that: dPlaces

Guys,

There is an app for that: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id333234413?mt=8

dPlaces is a nice little app that takes all your contacts, look for their addresses, and drops them on a map.

It let you also rate and categorize contacts (like restaurants, delivery, friends, dates etc).

:rolleyes:

7. smock17 macrumors newbie