Missing items from contextual menus in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macula, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Hello everyone,

Please take a quick look at the attached screenshots.

One screenshot shows the contextual menu (Ctrl-click or Right-clik) of the selected png image file on my desktop.

The other screenshot shows the "services" menu (Finder—>Services) for the same file.

I believe that normally the two screenshots should show the exact same set of services available for that file. However, as you can see, the contextual menu is missing one service, namely the mail.app service that attaches the selected file to a new mail message.

How come? This is driving me crazy because the missing service is one I use regularly, and I hate having to dig into the menu structure to find it every time. Right-clicking is just so much faster.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

I still have Leopard and use a contextual menu plug in by Abrasoft for mailing files with the right click and other things like Move to and set a desktop picture etc., but guess what, this plug in is no longer supported by Snow Leopard because Snow Leopard now uses the service menu under the right click.
    But apparantly not consistent...why on earth not the "mail to" functionalitiy?

Sometimes I do not understand Apple.
    I think it is really annoying that they refuse to add this basic functionality under the right click.

3. velum macrumors newbie

4. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately, it does not solve my problem because, in my case, I am missing contextual menu entries of *services* not *plugins*.

Thank you anyway.

5. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Check System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard shortcuts > Services (In the list on the left)
    Select the Services you want to use on the right.
    Have fun
    S.

6. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

I did that (including the fun part). It still does not work...:confused:

7. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Restart your Mac, it might just decide to save the changes you have made in the Services menu.
    S.

8. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

Doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

I think I found the answer, though, even if I misplaced the URL: Due to an unresolved bug in 10.6, right clicking currently displays only 3rd party services in the contextual menu. Apple's own services are only visible in the "Service" menu of the menu bar.

I invite you to try this yourselves.

Funny yet frustrating: There are so many wonderful services in 10.6 that remain underutilized because they are 'buried' deep within the menu bar.