Missing Java control panel

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by martosprint, Jun 19, 2013.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

I don't have the Java icon in my system preferences, and I presume that is how I would get into the java control panel. The Java icon is just not listed with the rest of the icons. Mountain lion is up to date. Is there a way to get that icon back? I don't believe that is all that important but I would still like to know why the icon isn't there. In preferences it shows the internet plugin and "allow Java" is checked.
    thanks for a reply 

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you only installed Java 6 from Apple. Go here and click to check your Java version and you should get a popup asking if you want to install Java 7 from Oracle. Approve the install and afterward you will have the Java pref pane.

3. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Weaselboy, thanks for that link. It worked and I now have the Java icon back in system preferences. 

4. Zaphodsplanet macrumors member

Thanks for your post.... just for the record the same issue happened to me with Mavericks 10.9. You don't get a pop up though.... just a "missing plugin" graphic... but you just have to click on "download" in the top menu and you're back in business.