missing jpeg previews

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, May 12, 2009.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

certain places, like an external harddrive full of files from a client's PC, when I browse in Finder, don't show any previews of the jpegs contained, whether it's coverflow, or icon view... but they do preview when selected in columns view. if i could view all the previews at once though it would be pretty helpful, and i want to know if i can achieve this without having to launch iphoto..
    thanks!
    (i'm using leopard)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

While Finder is active go to View > Show View Options. you'll see a check box for Show Icon Preview. That should do it. You'll have to do this with each view e.g., list, icon, column.

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

hmm that's selected, but no icon preview...
    it shows previews in general for some jpgs and most pdfs, but on this external drive i got no jpgs at all (but pdfs are working)
    edit: i just noticed that it's not showing the dimensions either

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This thread at Apple Discussions may shed some light on this for you. Essentially, it's somewhat dependent on how the files were saved. The dimensions only show up when the files are saved in certain formats/ways because of the way the metadata is handled. Its been that for me since I've been on Mac.

5. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

so even though it can create a preview of the file it just won't in any view in finder hm? that's disappointing.

edit: finder crashed and upon relaunching it seems to making the previews now. that's good. now if only i could figure out how to make it show more than 3 icons in a row in icon view... is that normal behavior? it certainly doesn't look quite right.