Missing Keystrokes On my Early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richard Ball, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Richard Ball macrumors newbie

As a title dictates I've suddenly had problems With certain keys On the keyboard of my early 2011 MacBook Pro. I live in Cabo San Lucas And took The machine to a Apple reseller. He replaced the keyboard And it still does not work. Has there been a fix for this or is Apple still Stuck on stupid?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Which keys are not working?
    Do those keys work in another user account? (This would be a good opportunity to make a different user account, just for troubleshooting... :cool: )
    Do the keys appear to work properly in your Keyboard Viewer?

3. Richard Ball thread starter macrumors newbie

The first keyboard starting going bad Last week. Those bad keysWe're clustered around The I Key. The second keyboardReplacedYesterdayHas all the keysBad between the Q Through the O Row. The Apple reseller here in Cabo Has ordered another English keyboard. He believes That the replacement keyboard could be faulty. It's impossible to work on this thing without dictation.The new one should be in Monday And we will see what happens. Do you have any suggestions?Yes we have three different accountsNow created On this machine.The Apple technician Created one And I have Two of my own. It doesn't matter which account is used, The same keys do not work.

4. Richard Ball thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, all keys workithe keyboard viewer
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2019 ---
    yes all keys work in the keyboard viewer
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2019 ---
    All keys between The tab Key and P Do not work on the keyboard. But all work On the keyboard viewer

5. Richard Ball thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an old Apple bluetooth keyboard which i've successfully connected to my MBP. I works prefectly. As I type on it the Keyboard Viewer responds. I have a suspicion that the MBP keyboard(s) are alright but perhaps it is the connector. When I had the Apple Reseller replace the original keyboard he said the battery was swollen(bad), and was causing the trackpad not to work. I'm old school, and have always preferred the mouse, so wasn't aware the trackpad failed. I had just replaced the battery within the past year. The keyboard has never been a problem until early last week when T, Y, U, I, O, H, J, K & M keys failed. I assumed that a bit of W-D overspray got under the keys, but afer allowing it to dry for a couple days and the same keys remained bad, I took it in for a new keyboard. Since the new keyboard installation, new battery AND upgraded iOS to High Sierra, all keys on the newly installed keyboard between Q thru O remain unresponsive. I have a a sense that the next keyboard replacement will not fix the problem and that its either the keyboard ribbon connector? your thoughts?

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Can you verify what you said by "all work on the keyboard viewer'
    Do you really mean that pressing those keys ON YOUR KEYBOARD, shows a response in the Keyboard Viewer?
    Or did you mean that clicking on the Keyboard Viewer keys (not your keyboard keys) shows a response.
    If you get a response from the keyboard viewer when you press YOUR keyboard keys, then that should indicate that the keyboard keys are good.
    (Clicking on the keyboard viewer keys SHOULD show a response, even if you have no keyboard connected at all

7. Richard Ball thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies. What I meant was when I manually click on any key within the Keyboard Viewer with the cursor the corresponding key types within any text doc. I get a response from every key in the Viewer. Only certain keys are unresponsive with the keyboards installed in the MBP. whether it was the original, or now the replacement installed by the local reseller. Both physical keyboards have certain nonresponsive keys. With the Bluetooth keyboard connected now, all keys function just as they do when the Keyboard Viewer is up on the screen. So, the likelihood there is corrosion on the keyboard connector or worse, on the board beneath the keyboard. At least thats my guesstimate.

As I mentioned, I have an old Apple bluetooth keyboard which I've connected to my MBP. It hasnt solved the problem but its a workaround till I take it back to the Apple Reseller here in Cabo

8. BenK01 macrumors newbie

Had a similar problem with my wife’s early 2011 MacBook Pro. Bought a replacement keyboard (just keyboard with backlight) and, about four hours later, everything is working great. A bit surprised that your reseller installed a new keyboard. My local guys wouldn’t touch it, and the standard repair is to replace the entire upper case. It involves many tiny screws to replace the keyboard alone.

9. Richard Ball thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:27 AM ---
    Thanks everyone but the problem was solved. It seems that the new replacement keyboard was faulty as well. Apple Reseller tech says it happens often. Though, immediately after the keyboard problem was fixed the internal hard drive took a dump. Luckily data was recoverable and a latest gen 1TB SSD was installed to replace the older 1TB hybrid

Thx everyone