Missing macintosh logo

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by SirFoxx, Apr 30, 2013.

1. SirFoxx macrumors regular

SirFoxx

Hello--
    So today when I went to use my quadra at my school, I looked at the front of it, and someone had pried the rainbow apple logo right of the front of my computer! :mad: Boy when I saw that I was furious. I requested the 4hr 30mn segment between when I used it last, and when I saw it at the end of the day. I saw that someone did pry it off, and it didn't fall off because there were gouges around the apple mark that matched a very small screw driver that I had sitting near my computer. I have a feeling that I am not going to be able to see the perpetrator in the video because the camera isn't very close to the computer, and is hard to see due to the type of lights used in the room. I was wondering if there was someone or somewhere I could possibly get another logo for my computer... Any information would be much appreciated.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Which Quadra?

Do a search for "Macintosh plate" on eBay...

3. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

It is for the 950, but I dont think I can get the logo without getting another front panel for this computer

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I hate people that do things like that. Wrecked your computer just because he wanted a small keep sake. Vandles should have their stuff ruined, see how they like it.

5. MacTech68, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Those little badges are the same on almost every Apple product of the era. They can easily be removed with a sharp blade from the front, or via a pin hole directly behind on the rear of the panel. I used to rescue them from junked machines before tossing broken & damaged cases.

It should be easy to replace, but the damage done to the panel sadly won't be fixable. :mad:

It's disgusting that somebody did that. I hope you catch the perpetrator.

EDIT: a hard edge PLASTIC tool can be used to blunt sharp gouges (it won't look perfect but better). A cheap LC LCII etc could be a "donor" if the badge is the same height (I don't recall exactly). Even some early ADB keyboards use the same badge. A IIci, IIcx looks to be the same size.

LC
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianward/5319930391/

Q950
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianward/4407351810/

IIci
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianward/4841440966/sizes/l/

6. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I've forgotten how beautiful that old rainbow Apple logo was. :apple:

7. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

Well, I took the logo off my apple adjustable keyboard, turns out it is smaller than what was used on the computer. I guess I am going to have to go back to the shop where I got my quadra, and secretly pull another apple logo off one of the IICI's...I don't want to do that, but I don't think I have any other options, unless Mactech68, if you have any spares, that would be awesome, but I think it would be very expensive to ship from the AU to the US...or if anyone in the US has any spares, I'd be willing to pay for shipping. . .

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Unfortunately, I only have the smaller ones that I can access quickly.

How much do they want for the IIci ?

9. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

I think $15...I shouldnt say it is a shop, I should say it is more of a hoarder's paradise...Stuff everywhere. However, I don't think even if it is a hoarder's shop, that doesn't give me the right to do in a rip an apple logo off...

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I can understand your feelings of wanting to do it, after the experience you've just had, but it just makes you the same as the person that did it to you.

Maybe you can talk them down from the $15 - IF the badge looks good. ;)

11. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

Oh I know...I really don't want to go in there and just rip it off for no reason...The next time my dad has a day off, I will go up there with him and purchase I think a IIgs, if the badge is correct...Does anyone have a guesstimate as to what size the badge is?

12. tdiaz macrumors 6502

There's two sizes. The one you got off the keyboard, and the one that's been nicked of your Mac.

If you send me an address.. One can fit in a first class envelope.

13. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

Just as an update, I prepped my computer to bring home, and when I went to return the superintendent's powerbook 150, I looked at the lid, and guess what--The logo was gone :mad: Them damn kids, boy I was angrier than before. Not because it was gone, but due to the fact is was missing from the Superintendent's laptop. Luckily, I still had the logo I got from my keyboard and stuck it on there for him, and told him about it when I took it back. Kids these days...I guess there are some you can trust, others you can't.

I sent you a PM tdiaz, if you didn't notice it already :p

14. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

Here is a picture of my quadra. The case isn't as yellow as it is in the picture--my phone had a hard time focusing, and I finally got it.

[​IMG]url]

As you can see, there are 2 scrapes on one side, 1 by the missing apple bite, and there is one on the top, however it is really hard to see.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's so wrong...

I guess like in the 70's - teens were pulling off hood ornaments from cars...

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You don't ruin an Apple IIGS. Ever.

Also, the logo looks bigger than the one on your Quadra.

17. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

I remember my parents telling me that back in the day when chrysler used crystal hood ornaments on their nicer luxury models, people were stealing those left and right...
    It is bigger.

[​IMG]

And I know. I wouldn't EVER ruin a macintosh regardless of its condition.

18. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Interesting that there's 3 sizes to this logo badge.

When you finally have all three, perhaps a pic of each badge next to a ruler would be handy for future reference (before you glue them on).

:)

19. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

At least put it back onto the IIGS...

20. tdiaz macrumors 6502

In all this time, it's amazing I've never come across the bit that there are three sizes of those things. I've always snagged them off stuff getting scrapped, and I've always had the right size to replace another when needed.

As soon as I find the stash..

21. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I've had someone steal the dvd tray out of my emac that I had at middle school once. and on another occasion someone steal a mousepad and then turn the power on and off of a switch that my powerbook g4 was plugged into and fried it

conclusion

kids are dicks

22. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Well, I'd conclude that the potential is there, but not all kids are. ;)