Missing Manual?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bonafide, Aug 10, 2007.

1. bonafide macrumors regular

I am a new switcher to the Mac and within a few days I should be receiving my new iMac (listed below). I understand the book written by David Pogue "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual Tiger Edition" is available and highly recommended by several users for us switchers. However, with Leopard around the corner do you think it would be useful to purchase this book now and get used to the platform or wait until the Leopard edition comes out?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, there'll be lots of new tricks in Leopard, but if you get to the point of being fairly adept with Tiger, you probably won't need the Leopard version of the book. I used resources like that a lot in the first month or two that I had my iBook (Panther at the time), and honestly felt no need for them later, including when I got Tiger. In other words, I think you'd be better off getting it now, learning Tiger, and winging it when Leopard comes, than just feeling lost in Tiger for 2-4 months....

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

If you are getting your new iMac in a few days it is a GREAT book to start out with.

Made understanding what in OS X is that XP was.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Anyone have The Missing Post to help me understand what this means. :confused:

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

:D

Yeah reading it doesn't quite come out to what I was trying to say.

The book does a good job showing the parallels between OS X and XP

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yeah definitely get the Missing Manual now. I actually just ordered it for my friend.

7. anemone macrumors member

don't forget your public library

I am a new switcher (bought a new iMac on Thursday) and I was able to get the Missing Manual book from my local public library, along with another book on OS X Tiger tips and tricks. I have found them very helpful, but I'm catching on quickly, so it's nice that I didn't have to buy the books for myself.