Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I've got some weird behaviour on iTunes/my iPhone 6. I synced new music etc and still have 2.77GB free according to iTunes, yet the phone came up with the message saying memory almost full, and when I've gone into settings there is only 210MB free. Why the discrepancy and what's causing it? I'm using Yosemite on Mac.

Any help appreciated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you have an update waiting or expired rentals?

Did you add what's consuming the storage in Settings->General->Usage->Manage Storage?

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Do you have an update waiting or expired rentals?

Did you add what's consuming the storage in Settings->General->Usage->Manage Storage?
Thanks for the reply. I do have an update waiting, but haven't rented anything on the iphone. I have on apple TV but wold this clog up the iphone? I am currently running the update so will see what happens after that. The strange thing is that when I tried to update via iTunes on the Macbook it said the update needed more than 770MB free storage and I had to remove some data, all this whilst the bar at the bottom was showing 2.77GB free :confused:

Going into manage storage predictably most of it is taken up with music (27.7GB) and a further 8.4GB by photos. It looks like the apps are taking a lot of data too as I have a 64GB phone, so guessing there must be around 20GB or so of apps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Update the phone and see if the space returns, I suspect it will, or at least some of it.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Also noticed on the phone it says used 52.4gb, free 3.4gb, totalling 55.8GB. I know iOS uses some, but not 8GB. So where's this 8GB?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I've had weird behavior with my iPhone 6 reporting how the storage is used on iTunes as well. On 8.4.1 it divides a huge chunk of my photos into the other space. However when I updated to iOS 9.1 for a day (performance sucked) it was all corrected and the space each thing was using was correct. Downgraded back to 8.4.1 and restored and my data was still off. I'm assuming it's an iOS 8 bug. Anyways my phone reports all the space correctly so I've just been ignoring what it says in iTunes.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I've had weird behavior with my iPhone 6 reporting how the storage is used on iTunes as well. On 8.4.1 it divides a huge chunk of my photos into the other space. However when I updated to iOS 9.1 for a day (performance sucked) it was all corrected and the space each thing was using was correct. Downgraded back to 8.4.1 and restored and my data was still off. I'm assuming it's an iOS 8 bug. Anyways my phone reports all the space correctly so I've just been ignoring what it says in iTunes.
Yeah I've had weird behaviour before with the iPad. But what I'm now finding strange is that on my phone the total of used and free storage is only 55.8GB. Even if I attribute 1.2GB to the iOS that's still 7GB under the capacity. I know normally stated storage and actual storage is never the same, but you don't lose 7GB from 64GB.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Yeah I've had weird behaviour before with the iPad. But what I'm now finding strange is that on my phone the total of used and free storage is only 55.8GB. Even if I attribute 1.2GB to the iOS that's still 7GB under the capacity. I know normally stated storage and actual storage is never the same, but you don't lose 7GB from 64GB.

Exactly. I just started a new thread about this (should have posted here). I actually deleted all my apps and downloaded Apple Music songs and it still had 7.5 GB used. How is that possible????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.