Missing partition after reinstall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kareem, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kareem macrumors newbie

I had bootcamp installed with Vista successfully.

I reinstalled OSX and now I have a slight problem. I can't see the windows partition from OSX.

I can still reboot into Vista no problem. I just can't see the partition from within OSX. Disk Utility shows my total drive size as 160 gigs which is correct and my OSX partition as 100gigs which is also correct, but no Vista partition.

When I load the boot camp assistant, it only shows the 100gig partition and asks me to split that. There's no sign of boot camp already setup or the missing 60gigs.

Again though, I can reboot into Windows no problem.

Any ideas? On how to get OSX to recognize the existing NTFS partition?

2. BigJimmyC macrumors regular

I don't know the answer to this question, but I would like to bump the thread, because I was thinking of re-formatting my OS X partition, but don't want to reformat the windows partition at the same time. Does anybody know if there is any way to do this?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just install NTFS-3G through MacFuse. Works like a charm.

jW

4. BigJimmyC macrumors regular

Can you explain how that will help? I was under the impression that NTFS 3g just allowed you to manipulate files on NTFS partition. How will it give access to a partition of the drive that os x doesn't even recognize as existing?

Thanks for your help.

James

5. kareem thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right Jimmy. The problem is OSX sees my hard drive as 100 gigs and 100% partitioned for itself. Its really 160gigs though with 60 gigs partitioned for windows.
    I no longer have the windows partition visible in Finder or Disk utility. Bootcamp assistant acts like I don't have a bootcamp partition.

I'm sure once OSX can see the other partition, all issues will be solved. Macfuse, vmware etc.. will all work just fine.

6. kareem thread starter macrumors newbie

bump. Anyone? I've tried everything.
    I installed reffit hoping it would help, but no luck.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just a guess try repairing your hard drive using Disk Utility from the install disc.

8. kareem thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean verify/repair disk permissions? I've done that a few times already.

I think I need to fix the GUID partition table. Does that make any sense? I know fat and ntfs partitioning pretty well, but this mac partitioning is new to me.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yeh repair disk but this can only be done from the install disc. instructions:

this has helped me when Boot Camp Assistant couldnt partition properly and some of my disk space was lost.

i wouldnt try and fix the partition table as i think you can only do that by formatting your hard drive.