Missing Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tjones15, Mar 5, 2012.

1. tjones15 macrumors newbie

I am sorry if this question has been answered, but most of the problems seem a bit different...

My daughter turned 1 on Feb 13. My phone was the only source of a camera. Feb 15, there was some outlook issue and my email quit working and contacts were lost. I attached the phone to my computer (Windows Vista). iTunes automatically synced from the iPhone. I did a restore from last backup. It obviously restored the phone to the last time it was backed up. (which did not inclue the recent pictures) The apps that were purchased/downloaded between 1/1 and 2/15 were on iTunes. The pictures between those times can not be found. Is there any way possible to locate these pictures? Do they exist anywhere? I have downloaded iExplorer and attempted to find them, no such luck. However, I dont exactly know what I am doing. Any help at all will be forever appreciated. I can not forgive myself for not have any recorded memories of my daughters 1st bday. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

2. normanbates macrumors regular

Which iPhone do you have? I presume if it is a 3GS or above you have iOS 5, if that is the case you should have photo stream activated on your iCloud storage, yes? If so you should still be able to get to them by enabling photo stream again

3. tjones15 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello. thanks for your reply :)
    I enabled photo stream just now and there are no photos in there :(

4. normanbates macrumors regular

Did you have it enabled previously? Also if your home network is wireless and have iCloud activated it should have backed up to your iCloud last time it was plugged in (to a wall socket) and locked. Try and restore from iCloud backup :)

5. tjones15 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have read that iCloud only holds the last 3 restores...so if this happened on the 15th of feb. would that still be available?
    I am clueless when it comes to phones. So sorry! I am sure I sound like a complete idiot....But....how do I restore from iCloud?

6. normanbates macrumors regular

Go to settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings.

When it's done it's thing it will want you to re-set it up. Don't plug it into iTunes, you can set up from the device with iOS 5. Complete all the options then when you get so far it will ask you to set up from an iCloud backup or set up as a new iPhone, try the iCloud backup option. Hopefully that'll work for you.

Fingers crossed

7. tjones15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fingers crossed for sure....I will try it now...
    Even if it doesnt work, I appreciate your help!

8. normanbates macrumors regular

I hope it works for you, I know what it's like losing precious photos

9. tjones15 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah me too! I could shoot myself for only using my phone for her bday. You would think after managing for electronic retail I would know better not to rely on phones (not to mention I should know more about them!) lol

I found the backup on itunes from when I restored the phone. I think it is the restore though and not where I synced the phone prior to restore(it has so many pictures that were deleted way before that day).

I guess it is possible, the data didnt actually back up (other than the apps). I have been trying to search for information on restoring data that was not backed up. I have found a lot of info, however, its all too confusing for me.

10. tjones15 thread starter macrumors newbie

No such luck....It still only has the photos on there from the restore (dated to Jan 1) nothing after that.

Thanks though.

11. normanbates macrumors regular

Bummer :(. Sorry man. It looks like you may have lost it permanently. I'll have a google around though and see if I can make any sense of it for you

12. tjones15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im afraid of that. I have found some similar situations where people have done the jailbreaking thing and so on, but yeah, I dont even know what that means. lol

Thanks again. :)

13. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Next time you take valuable photos, take them off the iPhone (or just copy them) to your computer for safe storage...

Plug in iDevice to computer with USB > close iTunes if it opens > open "My Computer" on PC to find the iPhone as an external drive > click that > open folder until you find DCIM

The DCIM folder (or a folder within this one) is where your photos are stored. You can drag/drop any of the photos onto your PC. This won't delete them from our iPhone. But, you CAN directly delete any photos on your iDevice, if you want to do so.

When you're done, just unplug the USB and go.