Missing Print Options? H.E.L.P. Not related to toggling blue triangle.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zoinkers, Jan 31, 2008.

1. zoinkers macrumors newbie

I just became a Mac user in December, but I know that there are some similarities between Macs and Windows, such as certain print options. My Mac is a Macbook (13.3"), OS X 10.5.1., and my printer is an HP C4280. I have downloaded all the recent drivers (re-downloaded them last night from HP.com), even tried uninstalling and re-installing the printer.

And YES I did hit the blue toggle button next to the printer name in the print window.

I've tried this with iWork, Office 2008 Word/Powerpoint/Excel, Preview, and Adobe Reader. My problem is that I need the "copies and pages" option to show in word processing and pdf programs--in Preview, if it has the option--so that I can choose which pages I wish to have printed (e.g. I want pages 1, 3, 6, 9, 15 printed, so I type them in a box...like in Office 2003 in Windows). However, I do not see this option. An example of what needs to be seen is here:

This person has Leopard and an HP C4200. I do not see "copies and pages" or "microsoft word".
    [​IMG]
    Image was taken from: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6441510&#6441510

That "copies and pages" is missing from my MS Word print window.
    [​IMG]

Not only that, I see the SAME print window for Powerpoint, so I DO NOT have the option to print slides as grayscale/B&W/handouts/outline/notes/etc.
    [​IMG]

When I open iWork and try to print. It's the same print options that I see above. As is with Excel.

The ONLY app that I see "copies and pages" is Adobe Reader.
    [​IMG]

BUUUUT I can't print. I get this error message:
    [​IMG]

Lastly, when I try to print certain pages by selecting the option of Pages: From: ___ To: ____ (under the "Copies" option line) in MS Word, it prints the WHOLE document anyways. I haven't tried this with Powerpoint or Excel yet, but I can only assume the same will happen considering the common trend of print windows, as can be seem above...

So...does anyone know what's going on? I called AppleCare and the woman ended up telling me it was a "Microsoft issue" and that they must have some "setting problems." Well, if I'm seeing this issue in iWork, obviously it's not just a "Microsoft issue".

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. bajorek macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if you have had any luck in finding a solution to this "Missing Print Options" problem.
    I'm experiencing the same thing on my MacBook 13.3" (Mac OS 10.5.4).
    I also have a MacBook Pro at work and all the print options are fine on it. It is also running Mac OS 10.5.4 and the same version of office and iWork as the MacBook.
    Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Tom

3. zoinkers thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I've had no luck so far. I even went as far as to ask the Mac geniuses who ended up doing the whole "it's not Apple's fault, it must be Microsoft's, etc". So, this issue has not been resolved for me. The only alternative I've been able to use is just view the document under Preview and select pages and number of copies that way. Very tedious and annoying, but at least the final product is there.

4. bajorek macrumors newbie

That's disconcerting. And very strange. I personally think that this is not a Microsoft problem but rather Apple OS X problem. As I wrote before, I have a MacBook Pro at work with Mac OS 10.5.4 and all the printing options are there in Office 08.
    On my personal MacBook 13.3" I reinstalled Mac OS that came with the laptop (10.5.2) and that's when the problem started.

I use excel and when I want to print my sheets there is a footer on every page. The only way to get rid of the footer or to change its text is to do it in the Print menu under the 'Copies and Pages' drop down menu. And this is simply is not there.

At this point I'm also clueless as to why this is so.

I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem.

5. bajorek macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

I went to the Apple store yesterday for an appointment at the Genius Bar. I worked with the guy for two and a half hours. They really had no idea what was wrong. But at least they didn't just simply blame MS.
    Anyway, as a last resort we tried to reinstall OS X and Office.
    After restarting the MB with the OS disk in the drive (restart with holding down the C key) we went to the Disk Utilities. First we use the First Aid menu to check the disk for errors. There weren't any. Then we erased the disk. Now the important part here is to erase the this by selecting the actually hard disk and not the Macintosh HD partition. After the disk was erased we continued to reinstall the OS. After reinstalling the OS we reinstalled Office and all the options in the print menu were there.

I personally tried erasing the disk myself before but I was only choosing the Macintosh HD partition and erasing that. While it was necessary to actually select the hard disk and not the partition.

Hope this help.

6. bajorek macrumors newbie

Quick follow-up

I also noticed that the HD is now formated to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When I was experiencing the Missing Print Options in Office the drive was formated with Mac OS Extended Journaled Case-Sensitive. Maybe this was the problem. I've read on the web that some applications do not behave correctly in the case-sensitive formating.