Missing Quark documents, how to locate?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chertin, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Chertin macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a new poster and Macnewbie. I looked through 20 pages of threads, didn't see my question, so---I need help. Bad. I was copying a folder with Quark 6 documents onto my external HD and when I opened the folder on my desktop, half the documents were missing. Same thing with the folder on the backup drive. I searched for them on both my computer and the backup drive. I looked for them using Finder and refining the search, and Spotlight gives me nothing found. Nothing in Trash, (didn't empty it just in case). I tried searching for them with keywords, words found within the documents, titles, dates modified, etc., and nothing comes up. By then, I was in a whimpering panic. So I ran a demo copy of Disk Doctors Mac Data Recovery. I performed a scan and saved the results, which included deleted files. I am trying to find them using the .qxp or .qxt extensions, but the volume of data recovered is making locating these documents a nightmare. My question, finally, is a two-parter: when files are "lost" does that mean they actually disintegrate somehow, totally? Or have the documents "renamed" themselves somehow and are hidden? I just can't accept they're not on my computer somehow, somewhere. Much work will be lost and I am in a great deal of pain if they are gone forever. Can anyone please help me? :confused::eek::confused:

2. Chertin thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using a Mac Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz OS10.4.11
    Hope that info is helpful. Thanks