Missing Quicktime files after Sierra update

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Diogones, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Diogones macrumors regular

Diogones

Hey all,
    I have a friend's early 2015 Macbook Air which happens to have run into an interesting missing files problem. The Mac was running El Capitan, and she used Quicktime to record audio interviews for work. They were saved in the default location, ~/Documents, and in the m4a format. This process worked very well for a couple of months without issue. Back in June however, she upgraded to Sierra. The Quicktime files she has in her home directory have disappeared since the upgrade, without a trace.

Here is what I have tried to do to find them:
    Checked and double checked the trash.
    Ran several spotlight searches using both the file type and the name as search parameters.
    Searched using terminal.
    Repaired the directory with Disk Warrior.
    Checked the iCloud Drive folder and even had her upgrade iCloud storage in the hopes that Apple had somehow moved the files there after the upgrade.
    Checked all the home folders.

I did manage to recover a few of the files thanks to this helpful guide: http://osxdaily.com/2017/02/16/recover-lost-quicktime-recording-mac/
    Some of the Quicktime recordings were saved in the directory:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/

However, the rest have not been found. Is it possible that I need to run some recovery software, such as R-Studio or Data Rescue 4 to find her lost Quicktime recordings? I'm not sure what else could have happened to the files, as their disappearance coincided with the Sierra install. Naturally, she had no other backup or offline copy, including the local Time Machine snapshots, since Time Machine was never enabled in the first place.

Any advice would be gratefully received, as I'm about to tell her that I'm out of ideas!

2. Diogones thread starter macrumors regular

Diogones

I'm using EaseUS Mac and Data Rescue to scan a cloned copy of the drive. I'll report back if I find any trace of those quicktime files!