Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
They probably figured out that no one uses rss anyway, and those that do use a a purpose-built app for it.

Back when I still read rss feeds, I used endo.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
As big point of RSS some posters don't see is that it provides updates and information to your mail box as some sites don't have mailing lists or you might not want to subscribe. Why create another app? Sorry to those who are reading this again but people aren't reading. How would I get my macumors feeds to my mail and iPhone pushed otherwise?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Did you not read/see my post ?

In other words since there is RSS buttons for iCloud and smart mailboxes in mail I think RSS is going to be integrated into OSX like Twitter is.

I hate to say it, but you are confused on this one Peace. Something I didn't think I'd say on this forum.

The search options may still be there (artifact?), but that listing of "Subscriptions" aren't RSS subscriptions. IMAP has the concept of subscriptions built into the protocol. An IMAP client normally only subscribes to the INBOX folder, and anything under it by default. A lot of servers put all folders under INBOX by default for this reason. So your "Vacation Planning" folder is really "INBOX\Vacation Planning". It gets around oddities of the IMAP subscription model.

http://www.polaine.com/2008/05/apple-mail-folder-subscriptions-and-gmail-imap/

So no, RSS is not in ML's Mail.app… although some vestiges may remain.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I like the RSS feeds in Safari. I can quickly see what I want to read.

I really don't want to jump around to different apps to get RSS Internet content. Hopefully, RSS is part of Safari 5.2.

Helpful to send feedback to Apple's Safari Team
http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html
Agreed, it makes supreme sense for Safari to continue being an RSS reader, after all, why should you have to switch applications to read the rest of an article?

talisto

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
I'm pretty bummed to hear about the removal of RSS from Mail as well. RSS in Mail is totally appropriate; look at the layout of Reeder or NetNewsWire, they're nearly identical to Mail! Folders, article/message list, message view pane. That layout works equally well for both email and RSS feeds. I love seeing new RSS articles inline with my email, it's exactly the same as being on an email mailing list. I've given Reeder a try, but I don't really see how it works any better than Mail does.

Last edited:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I'm pretty bummed to hear about the removal of RSS from Mail as well. RSS in Mail is totally appropriate; look at the layout of Reeder or NetNewsWire, they're nearly identical to Mail! Folders, article/message list, message view pane. That layout works equally well for both email and RSS feeds. I love seeing new RSS articles inline with my email, it's exactly the same as being on an email mailing list. I've given Reeder a try, but I don't really see how it works any better than Mail does.

Exactly. It's not much to include RSS in mail. Why would you have to open another app when my mac is on? Why does apple bother having its own site available on RSS and then take it away.

Please send apple feedback if you feel the same

Merlin748

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Safari App Store RSS redirect

I have found this in Safari in MT Lion preview 3:

Screen Shot 2012-04-19 at 15.36.29.png

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I have found this in Safari in MT Lion preview 3:

View attachment 338964

interesting.
I'd be surprised if someone didn't make an RSS Extension for Safari, so the removal of RSS there may not be a big deal. Personally I'm fine with Safari losing some pounds, I don't read RSS in Safari. I do like having them in my email like other messages though.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
That's the sad point, it's not in mail. No safari and no mail.

This all indicates you need a separate ram eating rss reader open

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
That's the sad point, it's not in mail. No safari and no mail.

This all indicates you need a separate ram eating rss reader open

I am not sure what kind of delusional worldview by which you have based your computing life, but any decent RSS reader uses practically no RAM and/or CPU. Reeder uses a whopping 0.9% of the CPU and I can't imagine Caffeinated using much more...

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
What is a good RSS app that doesn't require Google in the backend? I prefer to avoid sharing my reading habits with ad companies.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What is a good RSS app that doesn't require Google in the backend? I prefer to avoid sharing my reading habits with ad companies.

I use Pulp, although if you have a ton of feeds it might not work well for you. It syncs with its iPad counterpart.

Newsfire is my second favorite. It's free, but the developer has pretty much ceased work on it.

I'm really hoping Pulse will make a Mac client soon.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I wwouldnt be surprised if they made a standalone rss reader so they could make it use notification center and have it configured differently than the mail app.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I wwouldnt be surprised if they made a standalone rss reader so they could make it use notification center and have it configured differently than the mail app.

The fact that Safari points to the app store makes me believe they are leaving this one to the third parties, at least for now.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
The other option would be to run a server which takes a list of RSS feeds and delivers them via IMAP, so you just add the server as a standard IMAP email account to Mail and have the posts from the feeds come into your mailbox as emails.

It looks like there are a few old projects which do this or similar, though I've yet to see how well they work.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I submitted a bug report to Apple and they basically told me no RSS in ML going forward. Which is a shame. Safari has been my RSS reader since Tiger.

Merlin748

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012

I'm using NewsBar, eats only 20-30 MB of RAM, feeding news fast. Can sync feed list with Google Reader is you want, but has own feed reader engine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.