Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I have a university email configured using POP on iPhone XS running iOS 13.1.2. Even though I have sent email on the phone, the sent folder is missing in the list of Mailboxes. Sent email will disappear and you cannot find it even through search after closing and reopen the app.

This is also reported in the Apple community: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250646081

Here is a potential solution I have found accidentally for the missing sent folder issue in iOS 13.

1. Send a email using your iPhone. I send it to my other email account so I can make sure the email was actually sent.
2. Search the address you sent to in the mail app, the email you just sent should show up in the search result;*
3. From the search result, delete the email you just sent.
4. Go back to the list of mailboxes, sent folder should show up. The delete email should be in the trash folder.

*If you close the mail app after sending the email, open mail again, and search, the search will not find the email you just sent. In this case, send a second email to the same address and search the address while mail app is open, both email will show up.

Post here if this solves the problem on your phone. I have only tried it on my own phone and am not sure if it is a general solution. I hope the next update of iOS fixes this issue.

Reactions: pikasoda

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Another related issue is that organize by thread seems to only work in the sent folder. If I am in the sent folder and then go to the settings and toggle the organize by thread off and on, come back to mail, emails in the sent folder are organized by thread. But if I go to the inbox and back to sent again, the email are not organized by thread any more. If I quit mail and open again, the organize by thread is also gone. So it seems that the thread setting does not stick. I haven't found a solution for this. Any insights would be great!

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
OP…does your university recommend setting up your email as POP?
They recommended setting it up as Exchange, but they provided the instructions for setting it up as POP or IMAP. So I guess they did not recommend POP but allows it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.