Missing something" macbook vs macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac'nCheese, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Just curious... what am I missing here: the basic macbook cost 999, the basic 13-inch pro is 200 bucks more, but has a sd card slot but has a smaller hard drive. Besides that, what the heck is the major difference? Almost seems like there is no need for the macbook line at all... Do you think after the macbook pro upgrade (you know, the one that seems to be coming every Tuesday :D), apple might start to let the macbook die and just keep the pros and the airs. Just wondering... also a bit bored....

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

If FireWire is important to you (it is to me), this will make all the difference.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That makes sense. Didn't check the ports on them. Now I'm curious about something else. Do you demi-gods get instant notice of new messages? I always seem to get an answer within minutes of a new post. Again, just curious and bored....

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Demi-Gods are only paying members with no special treatment except the title.

All users have access to this site which gives live updates to new posts.
    http://spy.macrumors.com/

It's a good hunting ground.

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Your notifications preferences can be adjusted in your User CP>Edit Options>Messaging & Notification

I don't think it matters whether you're a Demi or not.

I could be wrong, but I think we see fewer ads. That, and access to the marketplace, maybe. I forget now.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know about the advertisement part, there are only two ads per page anyway.

The Marketplace is available to users with 250 posts minimum and having been registered at least 180 days.
    It would be strange to have paying members having access earlier, as even paying for being Demi-God(dess)/Contributor can lead to some kind of scam.

back to topic: I couldn't attach an image myself. (in regards to the topic with the attachment problem - even though I could attach an image - strange)

[​IMG]

Okay, it's late and I should go to bed now, as I completely confused one topic with another.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. gretafour macrumors regular

It's the precision aluminum unibody! It really makes a difference for me. Feels so sturdy and smooth. Also, the macbook pro is a little thinner.

Just FYI there are other threads asking the same question.

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You know, I searched under forums with the words "Macbook versus Macbook pro" and didn't see any threads that matched. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, I'm sure you're right. This is just the second time in two days that I first searched the forums, didn't find what I was looking for, made a thread and then found out that it was made already. Nobody probably cares but I'm pretty bored so I thought I'd share. Just waiting for the wife to put the kids to bed so we can watch the office. So excited to find out if Pam had a boy or a girl.:rolleyes:

9. Raje macrumors member

13" MBP also has a back lit keyboard

I really don't see the macbook lasting much longer especially if the MBP gets a good enough upgrade in performance to more than justify the $200 higher price than the macbook

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use MRoogle to search these forums as it gives much better results.

Example: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

11. Exinor macrumors member

Difference is:

13" Macbook Pro has 3MB L2 cache.

And regular Macbook doesn't.

Oh, and Firewire.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Processor and memory

2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
    1066MHz frontside bus
    2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

from http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

13. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Is the macbook LCD panel still the same as the early 13" macbook aluminum "collector's edition" which was markedly lesser quality than the current 13" macbook pro? I forgot to check last time I was in the store.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It appears to be. There is an obvious difference in quality when viewed side-by-side in the Apple Store.

I've got one of the Collector's Edition Aluminum MacBooks. I hope to retire when I sell it some day. :)