Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Has anybody else noticed that a significant chunk of space seems to be taken up by the new 4.0 upgrade? Back when I had 3.1.3, I seem to recall that I had around 7.4GB of available space on my 8GB iPod touch 2G. After updating, it reduced the available space to 6.84GB. I'm sure that the new OS is pretty hefty, but it doesn't really seem like it would take up an entire gigabyte of space... I'm sure there's some underlying reason behind it all, but I was just curious to see if anybody else had noticed this. I've attached a screenshot of the free space indicator.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 6.23.59 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 6.23.59 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 103

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Lame. I wasn't expecting it to take up so much space. Oh well, I'll be able to have iTunes re-encode all my songs into 128 kbps AAC since I did a clean install on there. They introduced the feature during the break between the 3.1.3 and 4.0 release, so most of my files were already on there. Hopefully it'll save space.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Lame. I wasn't expecting it to take up so much space. Oh well, I'll be able to have iTunes re-encode all my songs into 128 kbps AAC since I did a clean install on there. They introduced the feature during the break between the 3.1.3 and 4.0 release, so most of my files were already on there. Hopefully it'll save space.

Hopefully.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008

It does. I have iTunes convert my songs and I have over 7.5GB in music and I managed to fit all of my music, 260 pictures, and 23 applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.