Missing space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qw3rty, Aug 16, 2011.

1. qw3rty macrumors newbie

i'm using a macbook with 10.5.8 installed. WhatSize shows that i only used 49.5GB on macintosh hd but on the side it says i used 96GB. help D:

[​IMG]

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Did you do anything involving repartitioning such as Boot Camp that failed?

3. qw3rty thread starter macrumors newbie

i've tried partitioning but an error came up that said that some files cannot be moved. no failed repartitions

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Try repairing the disk in disk utility by booting from an installation DVD. If the problem is what I think it is, that should fix it.

5. qw3rty thread starter macrumors newbie

6. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Never used WhatSize but that chart gives me a headache. I can't make heads or tails of it. I can tell you that the numbers on it add up to roughly 90GB, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Glitch, maybe? What does Finder tell you? It's likely to be right.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Did you empty trash? If you have a lot of stuff in the trash, it might show up as free space in one list and as used space in another list. Empty trash and see if the numbers start to agree.

8. qw3rty thread starter macrumors newbie

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm not sure why you are seeing a difference now that you've confirmed the trash is empty. What does finder say you have free? Disk utility? I would believe the OS before I believe 3rd party shareware.

I downloaded the app you use to give it a try. The web site mentioned something about a new version for Lion. Still, it will only do 20 gig without payment. I finally found a small folder with only 26 gig of stuff and ran it to see what it looked like. I sort of like the display your app gives but I don't want to cough up 12 bucks right now. Instead I use freeware grand perspective to do much the same thing.

Attached is my screen shot from grand perspective. When I hover over the bigger rectangles, it tells me the name of the file that is using so much space.

Attached Files:

• gp.png
      gp.png
      File size:
      354.9 KB
      Views:
  10. qw3rty thread starter macrumors newbie

I used GrandPerspective and and this is what i saw. Any idea what miscellaneous used space is??? That seems to be the missing space on my HD.

[​IMG]

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I see you are using logical size measure. Change to physical and re-scan. If that doesn't work...

I found some help over at sourceforge.

I don't particularly like the idea of running an application as root, but it turns out the "misc used space" is made up of stuff you don't have permission to see. Be sure to turn off file deletion in preferences so you aren't running grand perspective as root and accidentally delete a bunch of stuff. But wait. Before you go run it as root, are you running as an an admin account? I don't see nearly as much misc used space as you and I never run gp as root but I am logged in as an admin user.

12. qw3rty, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

qw3rty thread starter macrumors newbie

using admin
    how do I use root?
    Scanned with admin (btw the free space seems to be diminishing for no apparent reason a few hours ago it was 54.91 now it is 54.41):

[​IMG]