Missing Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Nov 9, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I updated an iPhone with a lot of information stored, so a backup was made. I noticed there were 2 and they were each 25GB. I decided to delete one, along with other old ones (2) that were 10GB. I did this via iTunes preferences, however, it froze and I had to force quit. I re-opened it and it wasn't there anymore but my SSD's free space didn't change.

I used OmniDisk Sweeper and it says there's only about ~177GB of data on the disk. I have 34GB free of 256GB. Going into recovery and trying to repair the disk is no use since it says it appears okay. Also, I checked in /Library/ApplicationSupport/MobileSync for the backups in case they were still there but they weren't.

Anyone have idea what's going on or what I can do?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't already done so, empty your Trash and restart your Mac. If that doesn't help, try re-indexing your drive:
    If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Thanks for that. I disabled the local time machine backups since I have a Time Capsule. It freed up about 40GB. However, my other is 130GB!!! I checked Terminal and there's a directory(?) at the end titled with just a "." and it is 130GB in size. Is this where all those files that went? Is the "other" suppose to be that huge.

I've already shown all hidden files, but I don't see anything that matches that size. Omni Disk Sweeper also doesn't see it.

I've included some screen shots to help. And, actually, now that I see it, my other drive has a large "other" as well. Hmm, there's nothing but media files on there. No system files or backups, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kasalic macrumors regular

The last line of the du command read out is a summary of the total space, if you add up the individual directories it comes to 130GB.

I had a client with a similar issue, and it turned out that during the crash about 51GB of data was put into the root users trash. I found this out by doing a sudo du command on the root of the drive and then drilling down into the various directories until I found the root user folder had over 51GB of data in it.

5. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Can you let me know how you did that? My trash is empty, it's been empty this whole time. Also, as you can see in the SS, the hidden folder of the trash shows its empty. How do I go/see this other trash?