Missing Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suclearnub, Apr 17, 2013.

1. suclearnub macrumors member

suclearnub

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

3. johnnyyt macrumors member

i had somewhat of a similar situation but my problem was that i had a whole bunch of space being taken up by "other" data so i just erased my whole drive and reinstall osx. i tried everything to try and figure out what it was but nothing came up.

i drag and dropped everything i wanted to backup on an external because if i used time machine, it may have recreated the issue so i just cleaned the entire drive

hope this helps

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is that you need to identify what the "other" space is. I use Omnidisksweeper.

There's no need to reformat and reinstall just to reduce what OX considers other space.

As for the OP since the he's only saying "help" its hard to discern what help he's looking for, especially since he included a screen shot of OmniDisksweeper.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

6. johnnyyt macrumors member

when i said i tried everything to figure out what it was, i was implying that i tried to find out what the unaccounted data was. i forgot to include that the files that usually occupy "other" was already accounted for and only took up a fraction of the space

i used all the programs mentioned above and they all came up the same. so i had no other solution but to reinstall osx

7. suclearnub thread starter macrumors member

suclearnub

Re: HELP!

Well, even JDisk Report tells me that i have only have 154.9GB used.
    Something's not right here.

Attached Files: