Missing Spaces, Stacks, Time Machine... (merged)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scottbishop, Dec 22, 2007.

1. scottbishop macrumors newbie

Hello,

I must admit that this is a little odd. I have been using PCs for as long as I can remember. Now after switching to Mac I am a little lost.

So I just purchased an iMac and have fallen in love. Right out of the box this system is awesome! Network set-up was automatic, internet connection, automatic... can you still say you set-up your computer when the computer does all of the work?

Anyhow I need help. I have Leapord and can not find Spaces, Stacks feature, or Time Machine.

For Spaces I have a Dashboard/Expose icon with no spaces tab/button. Everything I reference states Expose/Spaces. Nothing on harddrive that comes up when I search any of the above terms.

I am really confused... any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

hi they should be in your apps folder stacks are what you make them just drag the app & ultilitys
    folder down to dock and place them the to the right of what looks like a white dashed line

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

you probably deleted the shortcuts of those apps from the dock .. Re-drag from app folder the apps to the dock

4. 119576 Guest

Are you absolutely sure they're not on your computer?

Open Macintosh HD/Applications and scroll down the list to see if Spaces and Time Machine are there.

If they're not, you may have to reinstall the OS.

5. scottbishop thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello iPhil - The applications were not in the dock when I started the computer (when I say I am new ti Macs we are talking less than 24 hours). When I go to Finder/Applications I do not see Spaces.

Hello - should I reinstall Leopard with the included disc. Also the disc that came with my machine is labeled "upgrade" is that normal. I would assume I would receive a full version.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Click on the Apple in the upper left corner and select "About this Mac". Tell us what version number it says there.

I have a feeling you actually have Tiger with Leopard drop in disks that you need to install in order to have Leopard. ie. the computer came with Leopard but not pre-installed.

7. scottbishop thread starter macrumors newbie

HP/Application Suggestion

I just double clicked on the HD icon, went to applications, and then scrolled through the list... no luck.

How do you take a screen shot?

8. 119576 Guest

Just out of curiosity...

Could you click the Apple log in the top left hand corner of your screen
    Then "About this Mac"
    Then "More info"
    Then scroll down to "Software" (and click it)

Does it say "System Version: Mac OSX 10.5?

It sounds like you have Tiger installed, and a drop-in upgrade to Leopard.

To take a screenshot, press Shift+CMD(apple)+3

9. scottbishop thread starter macrumors newbie

10. 119576 Guest

Right; as I suspected. You have Tiger installed.

Pop the Upgrade DVD in and install Leopard. :)

11. scottbishop thread starter macrumors newbie

Confused

I bought in the apple store and the guy said that it had everything... I am dumb. I did not think I would have to install Leopard. I assumed that all new apples came with it installed. I guess that upgrade disc makes more sense now.

12. scottbishop thread starter macrumors newbie

13. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

i think this guy is a genius, i would have never thought of that but it sounds very likely, nice call. ;)

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I too have a feeling that you have Tiger and not Leopard currently installed.

If you do have Leopard, and haven't played with the Dock at all (ie, moved no apps in or out) then you should have the Spaces and Time Machine Dock icons towards the fart right end of your Dock.

Here's a pic. Spaces is on the left, Time Machine on the right.

Attached Files:

15. scottbishop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You All

In short I am dumb. I figured that I purchased a new mac from the apple store that it came with Leopard installed. Sure enough after much frustration I confirmed that I had Tiger and an "upgrade" CD.

Other than the confusion over not seeing Leopard features in Tiger... I love my Mac! So far the only two issues are noSalesforce integration with email client (I use salesforce w/ Outlook integration) and GotoAssist does not support so for the time being I am running my ThinkPad next to my iMac.

Thanks again for the assistance even though the request was made in the wrong area.