Missing storage - 128GB iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johngordon, May 6, 2016.

1. johngordon, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

johngordon macrumors 65816

I know you don't get the full 128GB because of iOS etc, but our new iPad looks like some GB hav gone astray.

Settings > Storage and iCloud Usage who's:

Used - 58.9GB
    Available - 55.1GB

Which is 114 which sounds about right.

But adding up everything listed only comes to about 20GB, not 58.9GB, which is a massive difference.

Any idea what this might be? I know there will be cache and temp files etc, but a 40GB overhead on 20GB on actual stuff in about 10 days seems way off!

2. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

The 'list' doesn't account for iOS itself, as well.

The 114 is not because of iOS, it's because of the way that storage is counted by operating systems vs how it is marketed to consumers.

So 114 is just because numbers.

3. johngordon thread starter macrumors 65816

I still don't get it - the list totals around 20GB.

And the amount free is 55GB.

That only comes to 75GB out of 128GB.

That's a difference of 53GB.

Whilst some it will be iOS, cache, temp files etc, surely not 53GB in just over a week?

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Where are you getting the size of the apps from? For example on mine, I use Documents to organize my work stuff. It doesn't even show up in the manage storage. Yet I know I have over 70gb of media in the app let alone other files.

So perhaps you have some apps not showing up? Or an app that has other one that doesn't show what you really have in the app, just what the app itself takes up in space.

5. johngordon thread starter macrumors 65816

I was getting it from Settings > Storage and iCloud Usage.

In an effort to nip this in the bud I have deleted all the apps we had on it, and did a hard reset.

So no, with only the stock apps installed it's reporting:

Used: 42.3GB
    Available: 71.7GB

Photos and camera: 2.2GB
    Music: 326MB
    Safari: 257MB
    Mail: 4.6MB
    Calendars and reminders: 1.9MB
    Podcasts: 144k

That can't possibly be right?

6. RedOrchestra, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

Have you been adding and deleting large files? Have you turned your iPad off lately - doing so can clean out the delete cache.

I just added mine up and the numbers all jive.

7. johngordon thread starter macrumors 65816

I just connected it to iTunes, and it was showing over 30GB of Other - pretty sure we haven't used it for anything to accumulate that sort of figure.

I've just reset it, and its back to:

Used 1.1GB
    Available 112GB

I'll just install what was on it again, and keep an eye on the storage to see if I can spot what it might have been.

8. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

That's the worst "other" I have heard of.

9. StuartL macrumors member

I had a similar thing recently. I was stripping an ipad back to a minimum amount of apps and noticed about 50GB of unavailable storage that couldn't be accounted for.

After a lot of searching around I found some recommendations to log out of iCloud, wait a while, then log back in.

Had nothing else to lose so gave it a go. Checked the free space after logging out and it started jumping up until all 50GB was available again. Logged back in again and all is ok.

The explanation I'd seen that seemed to fit my usage was that as soon as I start streaming a movie I'd bought on itunes, the whole movie would end up getting cached locally even if I stopped streaming it a minute later, but because I hadn't actually downloaded that particular movie it wouldn't show up in the storage & usage against "Videos". I put it down to me doing this with a few movies.

10. johngordon thread starter macrumors 65816

The only thing I can think of it had something to do with the photo library - with the 128GB that seemed like plenty of space. We had a 64GB iPad 3 before this one, so figured it could (at least initially) quite happily just have all the photos (about 50GB) on there. So maybe something odd happened with some double counting somewhere.

I have it set to Optimise iPad Storage for the photos now, and its showing as 16.4GB (although they are showing as clear images immediately, rather than a bit fuzzy while they download with the circle icon in the bottom right, which is how I thought it worked when it was optimising, i.e. had a low res version on the iPad, and downloaded the full version if you looked at it.)

11. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i had this issue a few months back and it was caused by streaming movies from iTunes. I logged out of iTunes and back in and the correct storage was there.