Missing Sync for Windows Mobile is a steaming pile

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ToneMonkey, May 21, 2008.

1. ToneMonkey macrumors member

WARNING!! WARNING!!

I'm posting this because I wish someone had steered me clear before I paid my $$$.

I've been trying to get Missing Sync for Windows Mobile to work with my Motorola Q for more than six months. It works for a couple of weeks (until I trust it), then completely stops writing contacts to my Q, and sometimes will not read calendar events from my Q.

Also, under the profile, the list of groups is WAY old. It shows some groups I had instanced, then deleted, It also does not list recent groups I have added. Apparently, there is NO FREAKIN' WAY to rebuild the list of active groups used for calendaring and/or contacts.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I write software manuals for a living. I know how to use software. I also know garbage when I see it.

Before you ask, yes I have tried every obvious fix I can think of. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted (both Mac and handheld) till the cows come home. In fact, I'll pay $20 to anyone who can suggest something I haven't tried (whether it works or not).

What a steaming pile. Seriously. DO NOT SPEND YOU MONEY ON THIS HUNK OF GARBAGE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT'S SO HIGHLY REGARDED. IT IS ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE WORSE THAN THE WORST MICROSOFT ABORTION.

Mark/Space should be ashamed for charging anything for this. It would be dismal freeware.

Caveat emptor. Let's vote with our feet and put these bozos out of business.

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

I used that for awhile, about a year ago maybe more. It was the end of its beta around about the time I used it last. The only way I could get it to work, was to not use my entire calendar, if I had to add anything in the calendar, I did it on the phone. If I had to sync, I added the event to the computer, blew away the calendar on the phone, THEN synced. I would also randomly not have a calendar event. Though which one was a toss up. It would occasionally not want to sync the phonebook, so I did the calendar dance with the phonebook.

I am not saying that MarkSpace is to blame, as it could be a limitation of wm5, but then again 500 calendar events and ~50 phonebook entries with at least 3 phone numbers and 2 email addresses each should not be too much for wm5 or MarkSpace to handle.

I now have a BB for work, and sync it with Exchange via work OTA, so I do not have to worry about local sync. Its a lot of hardware and expensive software, but its much better.

For personal use (the wm5 phone was a work/personal phone. My phone, that I paid for, but work compensated me. It was nice carrying around only one phone.) I now use an iPhone. So I kinda get the best of both worlds, iPhone that syncs perfectly with my Mac, and a BB that syncs perfectly (as perfect as Sprint can be around here) with work.

I feel your pain though.

3. ToneMonkey thread starter macrumors member

Just found out...

That a bunch of appts are missing from my Calendar including two concerts. Jeez, if I ever failed to use $500 in tickets because this steaming pile of animal excrement dropped the appt from my calendar, I'd hunt the owner of Mark/Space down and torture him until he begged for mercy. Seriously, a painful death and eternity in hell is too good for this purveyor canine fecal matter.

Oh yeah, Missing Sync is also nagging me to update the software, but when I try to install, it tells me that I already have a more recent version installed.

WHAT A PILE!

G3 iPhone, here I come.

4. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Couldn't agree more

What a dog's breakfast that program was. I researched for ages, read forums, took the plunge, and screwed up my Q - I'm totally going for the iPhone 3G with Mobile Me for the great sync/push features. I'll miss outlook though - at least they had Tasks.

But everyone, if you see this thread and you think that you'd like to do it, FORGET IT!!!

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Hahaha I got this thread too late. I am having nothing but problems with the missing sync now myself. I have only been using it for a day or so but ugh it is not very good at all so far. Contacts won't sync at all. Music and videos synced one time but give errors if I try to sync them again. Album art doesn't match the albums.

After a couple of years of only buying tech from Apple I should be open minded and try something else for a change. That isn't going very well for me.
    I also had heard many good things about missing sync but maybe I wasn't paying attention and it was for Palm or BB users. This really sucks.

What were people using for smart phones before the iPhone? it seems like nothing else works well with a Mac.

I agree with others this app is a steaming pile of crap.

6. Barry1936 macrumors newbie

Why oh why didn't I read this first before paying my $40 (especially at today's exchange rates). The most unreliable error prone software I have ever used. Constantly fails to initialize and does not exchange data accurately with my iPaq. Every time I want to synch I have to go into iSynch and reset the history and then wait half an hour while Missing Synch slowly reads and rewrites everything. I have lost count of the times I have had to go through ical and Address book to clean it up. No wonder they do not offer a free trial. If they were in the UK we have laws protecting purchasers of products not fit for purpose. Their own support web site virtually admits the faults by telling you how to try to work around its failings - or passing the buck to Apple.

7. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Application Folder Name - > Screwed Time Machine

I had nearly a year of time machine backups on my time machine drive. Then I installed Missing Sync for WinMo (from Mark/Space) . They named their folder "Mark:Space" in my applications folder. On the mac, that name means the name is a volume and not just a folder. So time machine erroneously assumed that it was a volume with several terabytes of data (because it was not just a directory) and proceeded to erase my years worth of backups!

Not to mention the hours I spent trying to understand why time machine was telling me my two terabyte drive was not big enough to back up my 120 gigabyte hard disk.

Geez.